Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 my first attempt

jnc71106

This is my first attempt at this DSO and also my first go at using layer masks in PS i'm reasonably happy with the result as a first go. I didn't get as many subs as i wanted due to taking to long to setup and then the moon washing out the sky by 11 o'clock and accidently knocking the camera out of position so i was also unable to do any flats which is quite obvious from the final result, i also wish i had framed it a little better so i got the running man in the frame but my eagerness to get started i completely forgot to reframe it

i could have done with some shorter subs as well as the core is blown but batteries were almost dead in the camera (must get a dc power lead for camera)

I've got some slightly elongated stars in the corner i was using a flatener/reducer perhaps i didn't quite have it right in the focuser

Anyway i'm happy its my first pic in a long time and not every pic can be a POW

Ikharus 102mm ED

Canon 500D Moddified

QHY5 on Finderguider

10x 300 secs @iso800

10x 60 secs @iso800

and the same in darks

post-24512-133877717131_thumb.jpg

Could anyone hazard a guess at what has caused the misshapen stars on the left of the image

I've had a look at the right hand side and the stars look ok. But they are all a little egg shaped on the left side of the image and not just in the corners

Could it be that the flattener wasn't in the focuser exactly right ?

Really good 1st go at this. M42 is not an easy target as there are so many areas to consider. Is it just me and my screen or are there some slightly darker blotches, I had this on my Nikon and it turned out to be dirt on the sensor, a careful clean and all was good again. Great 1st attempt.

Archived