Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

suceeding against impossible odds

hes not well again

Finally after nearly three months of trying I got the scope to work and had the best night ever. For those who didnt see any of my previous posts I was given a home made 8" newt that was about 40 years old. Full of enthusiasm on that first night which just happened to be the last night of good seeing for some time to come I gazed entranced at the moon until the light hurt my eye. The scope only had one ep that was brass and fitted a focuser of some obscure screw in type. Well I thought the scope was free so I ordered an 8mm televue plossl and a modern focuser as well as obtaining some extremely cheap and nasty unbranded ep's, again for nothing [well,a fiver for three 20mm 12mm 4.5mm].

Having fitted the focuser I found that none of the new ep's would focus. On further investigation I found that the origional ep had a focal length of 80mm! In order to get the other ep's to focus I had to move the primary up the tube by 70mm which meant I had to redesign the mirror cell. However, all that acomplished and collimated I had a look at the moon to check that the new ep's would focus and all was fine apart from huge great washes of heat haze making the moon look as if it was under water. But then I was pointing the scope out of a window that happened to be next to a wood burning stove. When people say always let your scope cool down outside they know what they are talking about. Two hours later, outside, I got the best views ever of Jupiter and the seven sisters. I am now dancing a little jig of happiness that is both inelegant and hard to reconcile with my usual dour demeanor.

...all was fine apart from huge great washes of heat haze making the moon look as if it was under water. But then I was pointing the scope out of a window that happened to be next to a wood burning stove. When people say always let your scope cool down outside they know what they are talking about...

Interesting and informative post with an amusing "Quote of the day".

British understatement at its best! :)

(Have you got a photo of the venerable instrument?)

Archived