Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I have some Oby Space

Tinker1947

I have some space to erect a Oby, think along the lines of a 2 story structure, warm room at the bottom, internal stair way to the Scope area, so do i make a fully wooden structure, the ground is easy to dig, the car port/storage post are 4' into the ground took maybe 10 minutes per hole, steel RSJ into the gound up through the centre for a pier, or a base from Celcon block about 10 feet square inside, around 6' 3" to the ceiling then a Oby Dome or wooden structure for the scope ect, this is very much in early stages and if there's planning permission required, so a couple of picture might help, the workshop (25' X 16') in the back ground i built single handed in the summer of 2000, at the time it cost 5k for materials has 600 9" X 6" concrete tiles on the roof, main electric, log burner and some 40 mains sockets around the wall and across the roof A-Frames, this, so build a Oby/Warm Room won't be to difficult, just getting it right is the important bit....North is to the left the Worshop goes this end West to East, the fence on the right is "Her Garden" the second picture shows the room i am in now with the base of the Oby in the area where the 2 slabs are, the need for a 2 store stucture so the view to the South which is lookinng at the bungerlow which runs North to South, this end being the North end..

post-29949-133877716034_thumb.jpg

post-29949-133877716043_thumb.jpg

Interesting project. I would assume that it will require planning permission if going two story, and if it gets deemed a permanent structure, my gut feeling is that it will require planning permission due to the heigh. If I read your post correctly, views south will be over your house, which is not ideal as any thermals coming off the house might upset viewing.

Best of luck and keep the build thread updated with lots of progress reports

You'll need a very well constructed pier to be sufficiently stable at that height. Good luck and please keep us informed :icon_scratch:

Also, you'll need to insulate the warm room very well to prevent heat rising and causing seeing problems. A single story building with scope and warm room side by side is much easier in many ways. Are you sure you really want a two story building?

Interesting project. I would assume that it will require planning permission if going two story, and if it gets deemed a permanent structure, my gut feeling is that it will require planning permission due to the heigh. If I read your post correctly, views south will be over your house, which is not ideal as any thermals coming off the house might upset viewing.

Best of luck and keep the build thread updated with lots of progress reports

Planning permission will be required for garden buildings in conservation areas,listed buildings and areas of outstanding natural beauty.

The latest planning law also requires that garden buildings will need planning permission if any part of the roof over 2.5m (8'6") high falls within 2m (6'6") of a boundary.

Archived