Celestron power seeker 40az

Hi Andy,

I can understand why you don't want to commit lots of £'s initially but I have to be be honest and say that a scope with a 40mm objective lens (which the 40AZ has) is just too small for astronomy.

The minimum to aim for to have any fun at all would be 60mm or 70mm and ideally more.

Hmmm, i wouldn't recommend such a small aperture. Aperture directly relates to image brightness and resolution, and image brightness directly relates to magnification (as you magnify, things get dimmer).

For just a little more, you can get the 50az, though even that is too small imo. At around £50 you can pick up this, which is about the lowest i'd go on the scope scale tbh, even this is meant as a starter/kids scope - First Light Optics - Skywatcher Heritage 76 Mini Dobsonian

It's a great little scope and will give great views of the brighter objects, but if it gets you hooked you'l be wanting to upgrade pretty soon.

I second the binocular.

At the moment, any scopes cheaper than £100 are a waste of money, you may get stop down singlet plastic lens, plastic focuser and wobbly tripod. They won't do the magnification advertised. If you buy this, it may turn you away from astronomy rather than getting you into it.

I see a lot of people reporting problem with the Celestron's Astromaster series. The Power Seeker series is a lot worse.

You should get a pair of binocular for now, a £50 pair of binocular is much better than a £50 scope. Consider saving up for a Heritage 130p dob.

40mm objective on the 40az is too small for astronomy. A 10x50 binocular has a 50mm objective, as do many finder scopes.

Legends thankyou for the replys. I have been outside so much tonight trying to learn what i am looking at. I did see venus and neptune very close together tonight. It was quite something to the naked eye i just wish i had a telescope to see it. I thunk i will save for the skywatcher eplorer 130? Im really interested in planets would you suggest this scope or a refractor?

cheers

ps i have acquired some binoculars:)

I agree. 40mm is just too small an aperture for astronomy. A pair of 10X50 bins would be a MUCH better choice without spending too much.

The Skywatcher 130 is a very good starter scope. Its a popular choice. If you can, go for the 130P. It has a parabolic mirror which is much better then a flat dmirror for gathering light.

For observing planets then a refractor with a long focal length is usually the best weapon of choice (900mmm+). But the 130 reflector has a focal length of 900mm, so i think it should be good with planets. I think the 130P has a f/l of 650mm.

Also notice that the cost of refractors is a lot more then reflectors. This is because it is more expensive to grind glass for the lens in refractors then it is to make a thin mirror for a reflector.

Archived