NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

first use of binoviewers

Nosivad

I have just come in from my first use of binoviewers on the moon and all I can say is Ooh la la. Well, I do live in France!

I used them with and without moon filter and with and without the 1.6x barlow provided. As the light is split I found that I didn't need the moon filter and once my brain had combined the 2 images into one (it took a few seconds and may happen each time) the 3D effect was amazing. The terminator craters and their walls really gave an impression of height and slope.

I used it on Jupiter too and I was looking at a sphere rather than a flat disc although I think I still prefer the view from a single eyepiece on the planet. Tonight I think I saw the Great Beigey Grey spot although I can't be sure.

The binoviewers were also used on M42 and again there was an impression of depth and 3D.

While admiring the beauty of the Pleiades with a low power single eyepiece at about 18.55 local time (17.55UT) an object travelled through the field of view. It was not bright nor fast and when I looked at the area with the naked eye there was no evidence of it. It gave the impression of rotating as light from it seemed to increase and decrease quite regularly. I checked with Stellarium but no satellites ( I am sure it was that) seemed to go through the area at that time. Calsky does not help much either but it was interesting as it does not often happen.

Brantuk, do you ever use them on the big dob? Just wondering how the moon would compare between the dob and the sct. With a bit of tinkering I have managed to get the while of the moon in the fov using some wo binos, 2x25mm plossls and the 1.6 nosepiece corrector. The views were better than I got using binos in the old mak127.

Archived