Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro Engineering anti fringing filter Vs Baader Fringe Killers

I've recently bought a F5 - 400mm focal length - 80mm aperture refractor as both a holiday (cabin luggage) and grab and go telescope.

I was also interested in the scope for widefield observing to complement my MAK 127.

I am very pleased with the scope for widefield but if possible I would like to improve its performance regarding chromatic abberation - particularly in regard to the moon and planets for when I am away from my MAK.

There are some very interesting discussions on the lounge regarding this subject and they are leading me in the direction of some of the Baader filters such as:-

Baader Fringe Killer:-

Baader Fringe-Killer Filter - SCS Astro

Baader semi APO:-

Baader Semi APO Filter 31.7mm - SCS Astro

BUT.....

I did come across this anti fringing filter from Astro Engineering:-

Astro Engineering AC571 1.25" MinVB anti-fringing filter (for achromatic refractors)

Generally you get what you pay for but for under £30 delivered I am wondering is this a hidden gem of a find??

If anyone has any experience of this Astro filter in a fast 70 or 80mm Achromatic I would welcome their comments or indeed any views on the above shortlist.

Many thanks

Be interested to understand the pros and cons of these filters as I was considering such an item for my StarLight 80mm achromatic refractor. Until recently I used this scope exclusively on the Sun but recently been using it on Venus. Also strikes me it might be ok as a widefield scope too. Might just have to buy one to find out.

David,

I don't know if you have come across any of the following "Fringe Killer" threads - they may help come to a decision:-

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-cameras/128139-baader-fringe-killer-filter.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/160143-chromatic-aberration-achromats.html

I am still hoping someone will have tried the Astro Engineering filter and can give some feedback before I commit funds!!

I've recently bought a F5 - 400mm focal length - 80mm aperture refractor as both a holiday (cabin luggage) and grab and go telescope.

I was also interested in the scope for widefield observing to complement my MAK 127.

I am very pleased with the scope for widefield but if possible I would like to improve its performance regarding chromatic abberation - particularly in regard to the moon and planets for when I am away from my MAK.

There are some very interesting discussions on the lounge regarding this subject and they are leading me in the direction of some of the Baader filters such as:-

Baader Fringe Killer:-

Baader Fringe-Killer Filter - SCS Astro

Baader semi APO:-

Baader Semi APO Filter 31.7mm - SCS Astro

BUT.....

I did come across this anti fringing filter from Astro Engineering:-

Astro Engineering AC571 1.25" MinVB anti-fringing filter (for achromatic refractors)

Generally you get what you pay for but for under £30 delivered I am wondering is this a hidden gem of a find??

If anyone has any experience of this Astro filter in a fast 70 or 80mm Achromatic I would welcome their comments or indeed any views on the above shortlist.

Many thanks

The search for a fringe killer for my 80mm continues - has anyone had any experience of this one from WEX?...

Sirius Minus Violet Eyepiece Filter MV20 (MV-20) - wex photographic

or the Astro Engineering version?? - any experiences would be welcome.

Many thanks

Robin

I went with the Baader Fringe Killer, which effectively reduces colour fringing, but gives a slight yellow tint which I do not find objectionable.

The positive things about the Baader filters are that they are are not only high quality, but you know what you are getting. Baader publishes its transmission curves and independent tests have confirmed them. Baader brands its products as its own, the product is labelled with a type number and its prices are reasonable. There are I am sure some other filter manufacturers that are as good.

However with some other suppliers, there is inadequate information before you buy and the "manufacturer" does not even have enough confidence in the product to put their own name on it. You may a transmission curve, but then again you may nothing. The last such filter I saw had a graph with axes labels in Chinese attached to the unbranded box and there was nothing to tie the filter to the graph.

I find it very strange that this community is so accepting of products with no basic specification data and little evidence of provenance.

Chris,

Many thanks for your comments - some good points made about Baader, its filter data details and, importantly, independant verification.

A further explore of the forum makes me wonder if the Baader Semi Apo might be worth the extra cost in order to have a more neutral image. So much to ponder!!

Anyone any experience of the semi APO with a F5 / F6 achromat refractor??

Archived