Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Going to try and use Barlow x2 tonight

sounds like you are looking at Sigma Orionis a quadruple star system. look a bit further down (straight down from what you were looking at) and you should see a fuzzy patch even in your finder. This is the Nebula.

My finder is a laser finder so no magnification.

Will try again when I get a cloud free night.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you should be able to see the sword (rather than the belt) of Orion hanging down with the naked eye. this consists of three bright 'stars too and the central one is the nebula. you'll get it eventually.

Yeah I can see the belt without the scope but with the scope I just cannot seem to get focused on it! I'll keep trying when I get chance!

I am still convinced you are looking in the wrong spot. see http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2heo4iuK2rE/TQOrqCowfuI/AAAAAAAAASo/23711c9FnhM/s1600/orion-constellation.jpg

the pink blob under the belt of three stars is the nebula (as mentioned it's in the sword and not the belt of Orion).

Thats definately where I am looking with the naked eye, so either a) I'm not pointing the scope right, or :icon_scratch: the seeing conditions were poor. It was the day after the full moon so might be :D

will try again when the clouds go away

Thats definately where I am looking with the naked eye, so either a) I'm not pointing the scope right, or :D the seeing conditions were poor. It was the day after the full moon so might be :(

will try again when the clouds go away

I am sure you'll find it. might be worth trying to align your finder in the daytime (obviously watch out for the sun) as this will help.

good luck! :icon_scratch:

Archived