Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Royal observatory

Moon monkey

i went not so long ago and thoroughly enjoyed myself. there is alot there that is clearly geared towards the "school trip" type scenario, and the planetarium is also noticeably "child friendly" (although, when i went, the kids knew more about the solar system then most of us adults ha ha). Still a great day out and especially if you are interested in the history and development of astronomy and also time and time keeping, there is plenty to hold your interest.

You can also visit the greenwhich line, which is a nice experience.

They have a large collection of historical scopes, and like i said, because it's the greenwhich site, they also have alot of historical time keeping pieces. If you are prepared to spend the time looking round properly and reading all the information available it can be a great day out.

Also, if you finish up a bit earlier than expected, the maritime museum is not far, and also the site of the cutty sark (although i;'m not sure how far along they have got with the reconstruction/refurbishment).

If you are going by rail, it's quite a way out from most of the other big museums, but if you've got the week off, i'd also reccommend the British Museum, the natural history museum and the science museum for starters.

There are alot of free attractions in london if you are interested in learning :(

Also worth mentioning that if you have the week off, and planning to go by train, it might be worth going to your local ticket office and seeing how much a 1 week season ticket will set you back (as this will include return travel to london and full unlimited use of the underground to travel around london.....again, double check with the ticket office, as they do offer a version without tube too...and if you do it all at the ticket office they will sort out your picture ID card for you too - take a passport size photo with you).

I did this recently and had a great week, hope you have fun too :o

Was in London just before Christmas with the commander in chief, we took one of the Thames cruisers down to Grenwich from Embankment, next to The Tower of London.

It was a very enjoyable way of seeing London and it let us off next to the Maritime Museam, just a short walk away from The Royal Observatory which was very enjoyable. Had a very brief look at the Cutty Sark but it is a building site at present.

If memory serves me correct the boat was about £11 return each.

Hi Guys,

First time posting, long time lurker >:(

I am currently studying at the ROG. Its a brilliant place to go visit, everyone I have taken loves it, even more so if your into Astronomy.

Go see a show if you have the time.

Of course you wont be able to have a play on the 28" Telescope like me >:o

Archived