Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What will stellarium Do?

Hi guys

Despite Metcheck promising that there would only be 11% cloud cover at my house i in fact found it to be closer to 100% cloud coverage despite this last night i hooked my mount up to Stellarium for the first time, i was clicking away on various objects and the scope was slewing to the objects fine so i can only assume its setup fine.

Once i have selected an object in Stellarium will it also track the target as well? I could wait to find this out when the next clear skies allow it but who knows when that will be & as i have the patience of a 5year old i thought i'd ask.

Cheers

You're welcome - if periodic error creeps in or your polar alignment is a little out then all you'll have to do is reselect the object and slew to it again. The other way round it is to do guiding. But if you're not doing imaging I doubt you'll be tracking long enough for it to make a difference.

When you turn the mount on - if you listen carefully it will allready be "wirrrring" along and tracking :(

I use Stellarium -

If you want to move the mount you need to find an object on Stellarium and then press Ctl 1 and this will move the mount.

I do find it useful for getting the object centred exactly where I want it and for moving to another object.

However, it's as accurate as your GOTO is accurate.

For example if you ask your mount to GO TO say M42 and instead it takes you to between M42 and the running man for example, when you look at Stellarium it places it's marker on M42 because that's where it thinks it is because the mount also think's it is on M42 - does that make sense?

Then the only way to can get both the mount and Stellarium to line up with the correction position is to slew to the correct position and then Sync, then Stellarium will correct itself.

I do find it useful for getting the object centred exactly where I want it and for moving to another object.

I don't think it does anything more fancy than this.

Carole

Hi Carole,

I use Stellarium as well, and had some problems with it last weekend in regards to the pointing location of my telescope.

You mentioned to Sync once the telescope points exactely on the object. I am not familiar where I can "Sync". I have a Celestron CG5 mount with NexStar remote.

I read about the protocol for the communication between PC and the NexStar remote, and there it mentions something regarding commands about syncing, but I don't know where I can sync from Stellarium, or did you mean to sync on the NexStar remote?

I would appreciate any help ...

Thanks,

Martin

Archived