Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Telescope?

Hi all, i joined the forum quite a while ago, and have been lurking & saving up ever since, trying to decide what is best for me, i have read plenty and nearly bought a telescope a few times, but was not 100% it was the right one for me. I have looked through a lot now, and have a better understanding of what to expect to see, rather than be disappointed.

I am now down to between 2.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 / EQ3 PRO GOTO

or

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5

There are 2 main differences between the 2 are mirror size and the mount, I do want to do photography in the future, so the larger mirror & mount looks like the sensible option.

But have i missed something? or have i got it right at last?

Thanks for any replies.

Andrew

The EQ5 is more solid then the EQ3-2, so the EQ5 is the better mount.

The 200P is bigger then the 150P so will be more unstable on the EQ5 then the 150P would be.

Problem is none of the options are the 150P on an EQ5.

Whether you could get away with a 200P on an EQ5 I doubt. Stability is what you need. Consider that many use an 80mm refractor for astrophotography then mount this on an HEQ5 or EQ6 which are substantially bigger then an EQ5 you will get the idea.

Astrophotography really is not simply get a scope and whatever mount it comes with then stick a camera on and away you go. A reasonable astrophotography set up starts often at the £3000 mark and then goes up to £15-18000. It is difficult to say buy the 200p and EQ5 at £400.

I have a refractor that is suitabe for astrophotography, it cost £680, to consider I need a flattener which is another £250, the HEQ5 I have should be OK but that is another £600 these days. Added up that is a straight £1330 just as a start.

If you are going to do visual only then the 200P on the EQ5, if astrophotography is your intention then learn a bit more before jumping in.

I would get the 200p on the eq5 you can put an ra motor on at a later date to give you tracking for basic astrophotography however if you are determined to go down the photography route try reading this before buying anything. It will tell you what you need for photography and more importantly why.

First Light Optics - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards

The EQ5 is more solid then the EQ3-2, so the EQ5 is the better mount.

The 200P is bigger then the 150P so will be more unstable on the EQ5 then the 150P would be.

Problem is none of the options are the 150P on an EQ5.

I use a 150PL on an EQ5 (longer focal length than the 150p) and it is a very solid setup, but IMHO is still not sufficient for DSO photography. But if its just snaps of planets and the moon you are after then it is well solid enough.

Chris

Are you looking at the 200P on the EQ5 pro goto mount ? the reason I ask is that you need a driven mount as a basic fundimental for doing any imaging work. If so then the 200P on the EQ5 will do fine for basic astrophotography. I say basic in that this is mainly web cam imaging and, if using a dSLR, short exposures of 90 seconds or less. Above this exposure time you need some asistance in guiding, which these days involvs using a second scope like an ST80 and a CCD camera.. this additional weight is beyond the load limit of teh EQ5 and whilst it could be done, the whole assembly won't be very stable.

Another reason why the HEQ5 is classed as the entry level mount for imaging, other than its weight capability is that the motors fitted have twice the precision than the EQ5 motors, so you het better tracking and longer exposures before the need to guide. If you feel that your really want to go down the road of imaging then the 200P on an HEQ5 is a good combination (its what I use so I'm biased :( ).

If thats out of your budget then look at the 150P on a driven EQ5. Yes you loose 2" aperture but the weight saving makes the eq5 mount perform better.

If you want to do astrophotography in the future and are struck on a Newtonian then you'll need a beefy mount.

What I would do is look into a 200mm+ dobsonian since neither of the options have a suitable mount so getting a solid tube dob and in the future buying the mount to do the job. You're going to have to get one later anyway so you might as well spend the money on a massive mirror just now.

The wisdom I've picked up is that if you want DSO photography without being on the leading edge cutting-corner-wise you want at least an HEQ5 or EQ6. Maybe you should think about a mount that will serve for observation and short-exposure (planetary) duties mainly (and you could use it for DSO but only at very short focal lengths below 100mm). I think the EQ5 would be ok for an 8-inch newt for these duties. As to what scope to put on it: Yes, the 200P has many fans as a first scope. But photographically it's awkward. You can't take it on holiday with you (that's where a 3-inch refractor comes in handy) and it's not optimised for that job. I don't see many imagers using it, lately. So, if you are going to be a one-scope person, it could be the right one for you.

I bought the 200p on the eq5 and now wish I had got the eq6 straight away like many advised. It's a lot more expensive but I'm sure you will end up in the same position :( might aswel do it right from the start and save a little longer. Ive just ordered the dual axis motors for my eq5 to use it for visual with a smaller scope. Plus if you get the eq6 you won't ever be in the position where you need to think about upgrading your mount.

Archived