Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Altair Astro 8" f4 Imaging Newtonian

earth titan

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting article, I like playing with my scopes but I'm wondering if a Quattro would not be better especially as Altair Astro don't seem to list the f4 anymore and Quattro's seem to be coming down in price. There was mention that comma corrector spacing has to be bang on, I have a Mk2 MPCC and low profile T-Mount, how critical is this and how do you check it?

If the marketing men would allow the designers a budget of £800 I'm sure it would be possible to make an F4 imaging Newt that worked. What we have at the moment are ones that don't work and can't be made to work and ones that don't work but can be made to work.

Olly

I have used (and still own) an Altair Astro 200-f4 with an MPCC corrector. I used it with a DSLR and once the spacing was right it gave (probably still does) great images. The first two images in my gallery are with the AA 200-f4:

I have used (and still own) an Altair Astro 200-f4 with an MPCC corrector. I used it with a DSLR and once the spacing was right it gave (probably still does) great images. The first two images in my gallery are with the AA 200-f4: http://stargazerslou...s-astro-images/

I think that with a light DSLR you have a fighting chance. The weight of the CCD rig at the outboard distance imposed by the coma corrector was what did for my attempts.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Archived