Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altair Astro 8" f4 Imaging Newtonian

earth titan

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonights mission is to flock the OTA.

With all those lovely baffles, it seems a shame not to flock what I can. There is a large section in the middle, right under the focuser, that is crying out to be done so after tea, out came the tools and the Wilco's purchased flocking material.

You can see the area I mean:

post-19169-133877714432_thumb.jpg

I'm not going down near the primary as there are no real surfaces to cover as it is so well baffled. So with everything stripped out (focuser, spider etc.) I started by applying patches of the flocking material inside. To do it in one go is a recipe for disaster as this stuff tries to curl on itself as much as it can.

post-19169-133877714439_thumb.jpg

The flocking material was from Wilkos believe it or not. I bought all they had yesterday as I have an SCT and a Light Bridge to do as well.

£5 per roll I think. It is the same stuff FLO now stock. 1 roll was needed for the f4 scope.

See this thread for details:

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/164314-great-flocking-material-superb-results.html

How far up did I go? I went all the way between the sets of baffles and the front end.

Tom, would you do me a favour, would you be kind enough to measure the optical tube from one end to the other & tell me the width of a baffle, using a ruler or using a digital caliper - from out to in please & also the size of the secondary.

BTW the flocking has made the newt look a lot better...

Nadeem.

Managed to get 1st light this evening. Not a perfect night as there was a full moon to cope with. Mount handled the scope without a murmur and PHD tracked a treat.

Below is an image with some problems though. Strange shaped stars (I would almost suggest coma but I'm using a coma corrector).

This is the same for all images, independent of exposure time so not a tracking issue. Could it be a collimation issue? I have had both mirrors out already but collimation looks okay so any hints, gratefully received.

post-19169-133877715476_thumb.jpg

Thanks Blinky. After I made my post last night I checked the collimation and it wasn't bad enough to account for the distortion in the images.

I took the collimation screws (not the locking ones) out and added two more washers (they come with two on already). This gave more room for the locking screws which in my opinion, are too short and made collimation more difficult. With more washers collimation was much easier but I think it could do with some stronger springs as well. Might have to try to find some.

So how did 1st light go?

Well apart from the possibly pinched optics, a quick run down of the nights findings:

Won't focus without an extension piece

Should have expected it, as a dedicated imaging scope, but normal eyepieces won't come to focus. Camera is fine, but makes alignment interesting :icon_scratch:

Condensation

No evidence of condensation on the mirrors, despite the guide scope fogging up a treat. The outside of the OTA was running with moisture by the end of the night.

Camera shutter speeds

Vastly reduced from the ones I'm used to with an 80mm refractor. The M42 shots above were taken at about 20 seconds ISO 1600.

Tonight's job is to free the optics off. Might take the mirror clamps off as the silicon holds the mirror in place fine and this will reduce any distortion plus reduce flaring (thanks Blinky).

I bought spring from bobs knobs in USA - took a out 10 days to arrive and are much stronger.

I'm going to double check my centre spot and possibly remove and redo the silicone - this time with less! Any chance you have a picture of your silicone job?

Having read the messages and posts from Catatonia and Blinky, I think too much silicon may be the problem. Apart it has come again then, to redo.

Previously I had siliconed the whole mirror in place, at almost every contact point but this time I have taken guidance from Stallarfanes website, which shows blobs of silicon used as resting pads not as an adhesive.

I have supported the mirror above the cell using equal packing to allow around 3mm clearance. The pads will then be 'sqidgy' due to their thickess. Once this has set, I shall check the ffit and gently shim the mirror to losely fit the side supports.

While the primary is out, I'm wondering about flocking the side of the primary. This would keep reflections down and be temporary so could come off if needed.

I've just finished mine, and I've taken guidance from what's been said in all the threads :icon_scratch:

I took the mirror out, then put three blobs about 3/4 inch long around the central ring (ensuring each blob was higher than the cork spacer the mirror sits on.)

The mirror has been laid back on, and gravity should do the rest now.

Coco : It's 32" long. (Hmm, that was from the site : I'm looking at it and thinking it's longer but can't find my tape measure!)

A picture is worth a thousand words :icon_scratch: It may need more, we shall see once it's all back together tomorrow (when the flocking arrives.)

post-23057-133877715715_thumb.jpg

I've cleared out all the excessive amounts of silicon.

And here is the finish once it has been redone.

The 1st picture shows the rear of the cell. The paper is acting as a wedge to keep the pads as support pads and allow it to cure in place before I reassemble. This hopefully will provide movement and support. There are now only three pads.

The 2nd picture shows a close-up of the pads. I reckon they are about 2mm thick which should be plenty.

When it has dried, I will apply a little shim to the sides of the mirror to locate in the clamps. More about that in the morning.

post-19169-133877715761_thumb.jpg

post-19169-133877715768_thumb.jpg

Archived