Recommend a small refractor please?

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the double post (a few weeks ago), but no-one replied to the other one and I thought I might get a better response here!

Long story short - I'm in the market for a small refractor that's portable and is decent for astrophotography and a bit of photometry too (I'm an astrophysicist). I'm eyeing up a WO Megrez 72 and the 70ED they're just bringing out, but it would help to get some experienced opinions if there's a better valued scope around? Hope that gives you a rough idea of price too. Thinking of pairing with an EQ5 mount.

When I say portable I mean airline cabin baggage type portable, so the Megrez is the sort of size I'm thinking about.

Also could someone give a rough estimate of the sort of limiting mag I can expect with a Meade DSI (got one lying around) on it? I'm up for doing a bit of variable star observation :p

Cheers,

Josh

The new WO Zenithstar looks good but I guess that it is produced with FPL-51 not FPL-53. This seems a bit of a shame as the "matching" 81-GT uses FPL-53 and is a triplet.

Being honest the optics would really appear to be the same as the Megrez 72 cut down a little, if at all, and rehoused. It does however apper to be somewhat less in cost.

The Meg 72 appears to be the smaller according to WO spec's, at least in length, although it is the heavier. The comparison makes interesting reading.

Alternatives at TS are their INED70D, carbon fibre and again f/6, 350 Euro. Just under £300 presently.

Think Ian King does a 72mm but do not have their site at present to check. Think there is/was someone that bought one recently on SGL.

Stellarvue make a 70mm, f/6 again, the SV70ED, suspect costs more then the WO options.

portable and is decent for astrophotography

I had a WO Megrez 72 APO until recently and it was a very good scope for imaging. I only changed it for an ED80 because I wanted to mount the guide scope piggy back and the Megrez did not have mounting rings.

Regarding what you will be able to see, this website might be useful:

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

Carole

Yes, very useful site that :p Been using it quite a lot lately to work out what I want to get and what field of view I get with the various combinations, e.g. which DSOs fit in the frame or how big things are.

I suspect FPL-51 isn't going to be the limiting factor! I imagine scopes hold their value reasonably well anyway, so if I want to upgrade into a triplet later I could.

Thanks for the FOV calculator - I've used this one before for checking out eyepieces Telescope Simulator and Telescope Comparison home page which is pretty handy. Very useful to have one that has camera details too.

I looked at the INED70, it's about 370EUR delivered, but since I'm still going to need to pay shipping for all the other bits and pieces I need (i.e. the tripod and mount) I'd rather pay a little extra and get everything in one package.

So the Meg 72 is actually smaller? Because the WO70 is £369 without a diagonal and the 2" is around £115. The 72 is £498, but that's including the diagonal, but it's also got the DDG. So it seems cheaper on the outset, but really there's not much between them.

Archived