New Scope Suggestions Needed

Hello All!

I started out years ago with a Meade ETX 125, got aperture fever, sold it, got an 8" Meade, sold that, hen finally bought a 10" LX200 a few years later. It was a great scope, but I got tired of hauling it around, so I sold it a few years ago...

And now I'm looking for a new scope! Here is what I'm interested in doing:

• While I would like a well-rounded scope like a Celestron 8 SE, I am most interested in planetary viewing. The most important thing I want in a scope that will give me the best opportunity for top quality planetary views. I would like a scope that can give me the ability to view some DSO's as well.

• I am not interested in astrophotography right now.

• I am accustomed to having a goto scope (and obviously, all of my experience has been with Maks and catadioptric scopes), but given my desire to focus on planetary viewing, it's obviously not a necessity.

• My understanding is that a refractor is my best choice given my priorities, but there are so many options out there!

• I have a budget up to around $1,000. That said, I would prefer to spend around 500 to 700. I'd love to see some suggestions along the entire price point!

So, any suggestions? Thanks everyone.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the three scopes you suggest the 8" Dobs will give the best planetary views as they have better resolution than the 6" SCT, a smaller secondary obstruction and will acclimate the fastest.

I have owned both the 10" and 8" Skywatcher Dobs, the 10" gave better planetary views than the 8" BUT it was too heavy for my bad back, for me the 8" is a good balance between weight, portability and performance.

Here is a drawing I did with my 8" Skywatcher Dob .......

post-13701-133877711166_thumb.jpg

So, I'm looking at these scopes at this point:

Orion

SkyQuest XT8 or XT8i Dob

SkyQuest XT10 or XT10i Dob

Celestron

SkyWatcher 8 inch Dob

On the Celestrons, does anyone know the difference between the Celestron branded SkyWatcher and the Skywatcher branded scopes?

Links here:

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-S11720-Sky-Watcher-Dobsonian-Telescope/dp/B004Q76ZCK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325406505&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Skywatcher-Dobsonian-Crayford-Focuser-Eyepieces/dp/B00488TVF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325406505&sr=8-1

They look identical and come with the exact same stuff, but the difference in price is pretty big...

Does one of these stand apart from the others as the best for planetary viewing?

So, I'm looking at these scopes at this point:

Orion

SkyQuest XT8 or XT8i Dob

SkyQuest XT10 or XT10i Dob

Celestron

SkyWatcher 8 inch Dob

On the Celestrons, does anyone know the difference between the Celestron branded SkyWatcher and the Skywatcher branded scopes?

Links here:

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-S11720-Sky-Watcher-Dobsonian-Telescope/dp/B004Q76ZCK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325406505&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Skywatcher-Dobsonian-Crayford-Focuser-Eyepieces/dp/B00488TVF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325406505&sr=8-1

They look identical and come with the exact same stuff, but the difference in price is pretty big...

Does one of these stand apart from the others as the best for planetary viewing?

The Orion/Celestron/Skywatcher dobs all use identical optics from Synta. So as you say it's down to what extras you get or best value for money.

Personally I would go for the cheapest and buy a decent 7mm widefield eyepiece like this ......

First Light Optics - Celestron X-Cel LX eyepiece

A widefield eyepiece means you have to nudge much less often. I use a widefield eyepiece in my 8" Dob and have the time to draw what I see inbetween nudges.

HTH

Not a SCT user, however since planetary is primary reason, wouldn't the long focal length of SCT be beneficial as it would get higher mags without too short eyepieces?

Yes thats a good point BUT SCT's need a lot of thermal management and dew up easily and are much more expensive than the Dob which has over 2" more aperture and a much smaller secondary obstruction. So IMHO the dob has many more advantages over the SCT.

I've not heard of the Apetura dobsonians but from a Google search they look identical to the ones sold by the German company Telescope Services and the company Zhumell in the USA. These are made by GSO in Taiwan and have the same optics and mirror cells as the Meade Lightbridge range. If I'm right about their origin they will be very similar to the Orion / Skywatcher dobsonians in terms of performance.

I have to admit for mainly planetary observation I would get a c8. It takes magnification better than an 8" dob. Yes the 8" dob is the better all round scope it's not imo the best planetary scope. for that you need an sct a mak or a good long focal length refractor, sorry just reread and an 8"sct wasn't on the table. I still don't think the dob is the best planetary scope. You can pick up used c8's for a pretty decent price in the us

That's $600 more than an 8 SE right now, so while I see the beauty of that scope, it's not within the budget.

Out of curiosity, how will the 8 SE do with DSO's compared with the XT10i dob?

Not nearly as well you have a better light gathering ability and a wder fov. If I wanted to observe dso's I would get the dob

Archived