SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Problems with Red Dot Finder

Hi all,

I've been struggling to use my red dot finder on Celestron 114LCM.

During daylight hours I can line up the two "target circles" and have it correctly aligned on a tree a mile away. Looking through the eyepiece, the same trree is central, I guess this is a good sign that it is pointing the same way as the OTA.

Then the problems start......

After dark, I turn on the RD finder and it seems that I can put the red dot wherever I like by moving my viewpoint, it all seems very arbitary and I struggle to line it up on anything.

Any help greatly appreciated. If I can't find a few bright objects there is no chance of seeing anything more.:p

REPLACEMENT Celestron Astromaster 130 Star Pointer (5055457100433) | eBay

hi tiddles, is your finder like the one in this link ?

if it is, then you will need to think about purchasing another finder of some kind.

i have the same, and used it about twice in a year. they are terrible finders,i havnt heard one single good comment on them. 2 plastic transparent pieces with black circles on them, and a red dot that blinds the view when its turned on ?

i currently just use my lowest mag eyepiece to locate. its not ideal but its better than that finder.

if yours isnt one of these, then ignore my ramblings :p

Thanks Rory,

Thats the blighter!!!! I had my suspisions that it was the weak point.

What would you recommend as a replacement? My experience with this one is putting me off red dot finders as a replacement or are others better?

well, its a personal choice, im out to get a rigel or telrad in the new year. but others prefer optical finders or rdf finders. you will find alot of info around this site. but as far as optical finders go, most advise 9x50 as the standard.

telrads and rigels are easy to fit and have rave reviews.

also, although i cant speak from experience as ive not replaced mine yet, but dont be put off red dot finders full stop. as ive read and researched ,there are some good rdf's around. im sure others here will be along soon to give more advice.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=821

heres some pointers (no punn intended )

Thank the gods for that - I thought it was me being incompetent after I'd bought my Celestron 76mm earlier in the year.

Using the same RDF I could not find anything.

As Tiddles said the red dot seemed to wander around depending on where my eyes were. It took me over an hour to locate Jupiter one night despite it being plainly obvious in the sky.

I bought a Rigel and problem solved!

Archived