Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APT - overkill for lunar/planetary work?

Grunthos

In the near future I am planning on shooting lunar and planetary via a modified HD webcam.

However, I'd also like to have a play around at similar imaging with my Canon 550D - stills or maybe video (I know, I know...webcams are "better" :p).

Will be using either a Celestron 6SE or Skywatcher 10" dobo (both on alt-az mounts).

Have considered using plain vanilla EOS utility but have read many people raving about APT.

Had a look at the APT web site - looks impressive.

12.7 Euros ain't going to break the bank.

So...what are the pros and cons of using APT with a Canon 550D for lunar and planetary images? (or is this a totally dumb question?)

Apt is really designed for deep sky work, rather than lunar and planetary imaging. The long exposure control and integration into the likes of phd for between exposure dithering. I don't see any reason you couldn't shoot the moon with it mind you ...

Thanks.

Just wondering if it was worth sticking with Sharpcap and Eos utilities or whether I might get a more integreted experience with APT (e.g. have less programs running when using the DSLR, easier focus).

(Astrophotography sure has become more "complicated". I used to be happy with a battered OM-10, ropey old ISO400 film and a home made barn door!) :-)

I use APT for imaging with the Canon 400D, be that solar, lunar or DSO's. For bright objects such as the sun and moon, the fixed shutter speeds the camera has (ie 30sec - 1/4000 sec) can be selected from the drop down list. However, APT really comes into its own when batch capturing multiple subs of long exposures. Set up a single plan, with number of exposures, ISO speed, and any pause between shots, then once the target has been framed, start the plan and sit back....

For planetary imaging with a web cam, I use sharpcap with the SPC900, or Qvideo for the QHY5

Grunthos,

The license allows to install and use it on many machines in same time. The restriction is that you can not share it with other person.

About your initial question. APT has a feature to save the LiveView stream in a sequence of JPG files that can easily handled in Registax. As I know Canon doesn't officially provide a way to control the video features of the newer cameras... BTW one 550D is on the road to me so let see what will be the result :p

Happy holidays!

Archived