Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead and Flame with Watec

West End Wendy

Finally achieved one of my observing goals tonight - to see the Horsehead nebula from my back garden.

In fact, considering my North London house points straight towards the worst light pollution in Britain, it was amazingly clear on the screen and impressively equine. When you consider how many animal-related objects there are in the night sky which look absolutely nothing like actual animals, it's gratifying to find something that genuinely does.

Perhaps even more dramatic was the Flame Nebula - it's probably a more rewarding object than M42, which always suffers from that burnt-out core when viewed live.

By comparison M78 was very disappointing, the Rosette showed hints but was too big to fit on the CCD, and the Cone Nebula was invisible, though the Christmas Tree Cluster did look particularly seasonal.

Still one of my memorable observing nights though and a real testament to the power of that little camera.

(Sorry there aren't any photos - computers just kill the observing experience for me).

Tim

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's very impressive Tim and its something I would like to achieve too. I have a Watec 120n+, and a 106mm apo. Do you think it is possible with this combination? I would use a 7" lcd tv to view

Cheers

Stu

Yes definitely. I'm using a humble ED100 so your 106 apo is presumably a faster scope than mine which is obviously an advantage.

Other than that your setup sounds pretty much identical to mine. I have a 0.5 focal reducer and I was also using a UHC-E filter, but the DSOs were still visible without the filter.

I also use a 7" LCD screen, which seems a perfect size to me and velcroes to a tripod leg.

Tim

Many thanks for that Tim. My scope is f 6.5, not overly fast but ok I guess. I've got a 0.5 reducer I could use if needed.

Would an o III work on the horse head, or would the UHC be better?

Looking forward to giving it a go.

Stu

I would suggest that the Oiii filter will rob you of too much light.

Even with the UHC-E filter I use, I'm running the Watec at high-ish gain and high gamma. Most of the time I try and use the least severe filter I can, or none at all. I've found the Baader fringe killer is very good and steals very little light.

It's always worth experimenting though, especially as your scope is faster than mine.

Can you tell me what 7" monitor you use with the Watec 120+n

Mine is from www.esaw.co.uk

The important considerations when choosing a monitor for this purpose are, firstly, some sort of DC input (unless you're happy running mains outdoors) and, most importantly of all, decent contrast adjustment.

The contrast controls on the monitor are the ultimate weapon against light pollution, haze and inherently low surface brightness, and far more important than filtration for live viewing.

Hi Tim

Unfortunately I think it will only record off the free view tv signal. I don't know that for certain but believe it is correct, you could check with them if interested.

I think you and I seem to share similar desires in terms of keeping laptops and processing hassle out of the equation and trying to keep things as live as possible. I am a purely visual observer and have not done too much yet with my Watec but do want to use it more to view fainter dso's without having to travel miles to a dark site.

Stu

Thanks for the info Stu.

Yes, I think we both probably view video astronomy as a compromise - I'd far rather be looking through an eyepiece than at a screen, but for some of the things you can see with a small scope in a light polluted suburb with the Watec, you'd need a 16" and a dark sky to get close with an eyepiece.

Tim

Many thanks for that Tim. My scope is f 6.5, not overly fast but ok I guess. I've got a 0.5 reducer I could use if needed.

Looking forward to giving it a go.

Stu

The OIII is the worst filter you could use on the Horsehead as to see the horsehead you need to see IC434, the faint strip of emission nebulae it is superimposed on. Trouble is it IC 434 doesn't have any OIII emissions, it emits hydrogen beta so you would need either a H/Beta filter which at only 9nm bandwidth will probably rob too much light or the UHC which does transmit this weak h/beta line.

That's what I call an observing session! I've managed to just about make out the dark area of B33 from a very dark sky under excellent conditions with a H-beta filter but couldn't make out the head shape. Those watec cameras sound fantastic.

Ok, this is the monitor I am going to get http://www.esaw.co.uk/catalog/7-inch-lcd-monitors/7-inch-tft-lcd-monitor-bnc-only it comes with everything I need, just hope it is good enough to resolve the detail in some of these faint objects. Steve

That's the one I've got - I've been very pleased with it. The difference between it and a cheap one is very obvious indeed and it gives better results than my computer screen - it'll take a few knocks too and won't konk out when it gets a bit of dew on it.

Set the contrast at or near zero to tease out those details - you should easily get spiral arms on galaxies like M51 and M81 and globulars are just awesome.

That's what I call an observing session! I've managed to just about make out the dark area of B33 from a very dark sky under excellent conditions with a H-beta filter but couldn't make out the head shape. Those watec cameras sound fantastic.

Thanks Bish. It is a brilliant camera, although its taken me quite a while to start feeling like an observer with it rather than a poor-man's astrophotographer. Keeping computers out of the equation has certainly been the key for me.

In the end it is low resolution and I'm sure nothing beats seeing B33 with the naked eye.

Tim

Archived