Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First eyepeice and filter purchases?

UHF

Can anyone recommend a filter for observing in an urban area on an 8" Newt. I get good brightness and clarity on Jupiter with the supplied 10mm and 2 x barlow (200x Mag) despite the light pollution but would like more clarity on DSO if possible.

Failing that, it would be nice to bring out more detail on planets as Jupiter almost seems a bit too bright so could do with something to sort that out too.

I'm guessing that I really need dark skies for this, but if there is anything I can do with filters, given the decent(ish) aperture then I may as well.

Finally, if I'm using 10mm with 2X barlow I understand thats effectively a 5mm, would there be any benefit of using a 5mm eye peice instead of the combination. Given that Jupiter is very bright, can I get more magnification easily? I understand on a 1000mm FL and 5mm thats 200x, can I get closer to 250x and still get a good image, ie. 4mm?

Many thanks, getting bored switching between the supplied bits of kit, I usually go 25mm wide, centre down on things then drop the 10mm with 2x barlow in. Except star clusters which I'll drop the 10mm in by itself or just stick with 25mm.

UHC filters are usually a good all rounder but training your eye to pick out subtle details will show you more than a filter by itself. Regards EP's you often need no more than 200-250 x magnification in the UK as seeing determines how much mag you can use not the scope itself.

... training your eye to pick out subtle details will show you more than a filter by itself......

Yep - thats the key to it - spend time at the eyepiece, study the object, the more subtle details will gradually show themselves, sometimes just for a moment so you need to be watching for them :D

Archived