Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam or DSLR

cymag

Hi,

I would like to get started in planetary and DSO imaging. I have a Nikon D300s DSLR which I will try and use for deep space imaging, but would a webcam be better for planetary imaging?

If a webcam would be good which webcam? I have spent ages looking for a good CCD webcam but the phillips toucan everyone recommends is not made anymore, and all I can find is CMOS sensor webcams. Is a CMOS webcam any good now? as these sensors have come on in recent years.

In short, can you recommend a webcam which will produce good quality images and is easily obtainable?

Thanks

The equivalent of the SPC900 is the Philips SPC880 available from Morgan Computers and other places, ebay and Telscope House. The firmware needs to be reflashed so it can use the SPC900 drivers and interface for use with a Vista or Win 7 computer. This needs to be done on a computer running XP and only takes a few seconds Philips SPC900NC uncovered

Peter

Archived