NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC1499 & M1 - first attempts

stevebb

After the arrival of a Moonlite focuser and IKharos field flattener/field focuser from Ian King for my SkyWatcher Equinox ED120 I am now trying to find out what "window" I have from my garden. One of the targets was NGC1499 the California Nebula - this was only 5 subs but I was pleased to see even a small amount of subs was enough to bring out the detail. 3x 240s and 2x 300s and the camera a modded Canon 450D at ISO800 bought off these forums from another decent chap.

A second image is M1 the Crab Nebula, I could not believe how much detail is in this target and I will be back to spend some serious time on this when the sky is kind. 7 subs 2x 180s and 5x 240s again stacked in DSS.

This are my first images I have been brave enough to upload on here, still lots to learn, still some hot spots in this image that need to be addressed but it is a start :D

Forgot to mention - these are unguided images - still working on my laptop to sort that side out !!

Best wishes and Happy Christmas / Happy holidays everyone.

Steve

post-20494-133877709609_thumb.jpg

post-20494-133877709616_thumb.jpg

Many thanks Todd and Venus :D

Wow, Otley is not very far away at all, perhaps your best spot is that back road that goes up over the top towards the A59 and Menwith Hill. There must be a spot high up on that road that would be lovely and dark. At the moment I am still imaging everything from my own small back garden trying to establish my "window". Though my nearest dark site would probably be Brimham Rocks but I think the National Trust now put a barrier across so I can no longer park up anymore. Next good spot must be anywhere on top of Blubberhouses but it is quite a trek - a good 45 min drive away for me. I also wondered about Otley Chevin but guessing the light pollution from LBA would be quite excessive !

Also, there is Rufforth airfield close to York - same location that York have their observatory. Mental note to self, I must join that club next year - listened to one of there speakers talk about renovating a refractor telescope. The talk was captivating and he was exceptional - best not mention Martin D by name though ... oops :)

Hope to catch up with you sometime - I am located in Knaresborough.

Best wishes for the New Year and thanks again,

Steve

Steve,

I have been trying to get a group of locals interested in forming a social group that can arrange astronomy nights as clear skies become available. I have had a bit of interest, if you would be interested we are looking at have a meet up in the start of the year. Just a coffee and chat to start.

Neil

Many thanks Sam - just realised I "DID" type unguided - that is not correct and I do apologise. I meant to type not autoguiding with PHD as i still have to sort that out. They are however guided using Synscan on my NEQ6 Pro mount so I do apologise as that could have been misleading people.

I blame too much Baileys as i was typing !!!

Steve

Archived