Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51; Whirlpool Galaxy.

cotterless45

Nearly overhead this morning and into the darkest part of my light polluted sky. At x60, I could pick out how clear and bright it was and see ngc5195 connected. At x100 there was some spiral, a bright halo and the inclusive star. The connective bits were clear.It's a wonderful galaxy, easy to find and worth spending time observing.

All this with a SW 200p, 21 mm and 12mm eps.

It's a great galaxy in medium apertures under dark skies. I've seen the spiral structure clearly with a 12" under dark skies but I it's less distinct from my home with my 10" newtonian. You 200p is doing very nicely !

I spent a lot of time observing M51 earlier this year when the Supernova was showing in it - it's a lovely object when you spend time on it :D

It's one of my favorite objects. For a long time, it was believed the two components are interacting but in recent times, some are suggesting it's just a chance angle of view that makes it appear there are two galaxies interacting.

Has anyone heard if the problem was ever solved?

Archived