Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova 2011iy

lukebl

Hi all,

Got up early this morning to catch supernova 2011iy, in NGC4984 in Virgo. It's now at around mag 13.5, although it was up to 12.7 when discovered on 9th December by Koichi Itagaki (his 73rd supernova). Pretty bright as supernovae go, but not my most interesting image!

I know I'm not going to be Tom Boles or Koichi Itagaki, but I must find one of these myself as they're popping up all the time. Need to find the time and patience to capture and sift through countless galaxy captures, though. One day, maybe.

post-16549-13387770916_thumb.jpg

SXVF-H9, 250mm f/4.7 Newt, 15 x 3 min exposures

Had a look at Koichi's website. Here he is in his control room. How many screens do you need?

1.jpg

Incidentally, I also had a look at Comet Garrad which is looking good right now in Hercules, but twilight washed out my images of it.

.... I was also very surprised to read that Garradd is still going. I had no idea it was still visible.

Yes, it's now better in the mornings and is set to become even brighter. Here is my quick capture, based on 6 x 2 minute exposures. As I said, it was low in the NE during twilight, so the image isn't good. Hoping for better results over the next few weeks. There seem to be two distinct parts to the comet's tail, at right angles to each other, one extending to the 11 o'clock position and one at 7 o'clock.

post-16549-133877709555_thumb.jpg

Archived