Calling AZ 4 users

Just bought one of these yesterday from F1. Do I completely slacken off everything on the clutches and then re-tighten everything up when my target has been located or do I keep things a tight as I need to to stop my ED80 sagging or swinging about and use the panning arm to move into position?

My god its robust, I don't live far from the Humber bridge, the AZ 4 has a simular vibe about it.

Slacken off the axis clutches (not completely.........just enough to give smooth movement) until you get on target then tighten. Use the panning arm to move the scope up/down/left/right. I dont have one myself but it looks like it operates in the same manner as my Horizon 8115.

Obviously while the scope is attached you want to keep the dovetail locking mechanism tight. Anything else can be loosened to allow pan and tilt motion.

Nice looking mount.

I slacken the clutches on both axes just enough to allow smooth movement but not so much that the clutches can't maintain the grip when you take your hands away. You should be able to find the sweet spot with a few seconds trial and error. The idea is to be able to just have your hand on the panning handle to guide on the target and not worry about anything else.

I slacken the clutches on both axes just enough to allow smooth movement but not so much that the clutches can't maintain the grip when you take your hands away. You should be able to find the sweet spot with a few seconds trial and error. The idea is to be able to just have your hand on the panning handle to guide on the target and not worry about anything else.

This is exactly how I use it too.

Cheers,

Chris

Would this tripod be able to hold a 90mm refractor with a 1000mm FL?. I dont mean the actual weight of the refrac. I'm more interested in the length of the scope. How high up to zenith could it go?.

I think it would be very limited. Maybe to about 60 degrees?

Looks like it could do well in replacing my EQ mount for my Celestron 90EQ.

I've put my Az-4 head onto the 2" steel tripod from a CG5 mount from time to time and thats a really solid setup. The aluminum legged tripod would be OK for short tube scopes but is prone to twisting a bit when longer tubes are used.

Archived