Eyepeices advice

Hi Kuro,

Have a look at the sticky by warthog, thats a great guide. As you have not stated a budget the ep's that are getting good reviews for modest cost are the BST explorers :- c£40 and Alan is a great guy - can be found here :-

1.25" Eyepieces

If you want to know more about the relation of your ep and telescope try the links below. Just enter your own data and the calculations are done for you.

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

N.A.A. Telescope Math Calculator

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I followed the links but found them confusing as a newbie. I have a Celestron Firstscope which I know is very limited (It was a gift for my son to get him into astronomy - and has worked!). I've seen reviews of the Barlow 2x lens and wonder what impact it will have on this limited telescope. For example, when we look at Jupiter we can just make out the inner moons and jupiter is a milky dot; would a Barlow 2x lens give us a glimpse of the gas bands, or is this just hopeful!

I've found a celestron omni barlowx2 here:

Celestron 2x Omni Barlow lens (#93326) - wex photographic

Thanks in advance.

Hi all

I followed the links but found them confusing as a newbie. I have a Celestron Firstscope which I know is very limited (It was a gift for my son to get him into astronomy - and has worked!). I've seen reviews of the Barlow 2x lens and wonder what impact it will have on this limited telescope. For example, when we look at Jupiter we can just make out the inner moons and jupiter is a milky dot; would a Barlow 2x lens give us a glimpse of the gas bands, or is this just hopeful!

I've found a celestron omni barlowx2 here:

Celestron 2x Omni Barlow lens (#93326) - wex photographic

Thanks in advance.

Hi, the eyepieces that come with the firstscope are not particularly fantastic, therefore, getting a barlow and doubling the mag will not make them any better, so I would say don't buy a barlow. I am assuming that the scope is a 76mm?, at this apperture the scope will give you (understandably) limted views, but it may be worth investing in a decent 10mm eyepiece, as this might improve views of Jupiter etc a little. It's a tricky one this, as the scope will have fairly obvious limitations. An eyepiece like a Vixen NPL is around the right sort of level.

First Light Optics - Vixen NPL eyepieces

Hope that helps a little :icon_salut:

Hi Gluon,

To be frank, the barlow costs as much as the first scope. However could be used on another scope should you decide to trade up. You are probably probing the limits of the first scope, the barlow will double the magnification but the image will darken and the exit pupil will be small.

Sorry :-)

Archived