NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Collimation of the TS SuperNewt and Cats Eye Deluxe Kit : Review and Pictures

Catanonia

As most of you will no doubt be awae, I have just got my new scope the Telescope service Boren copy that I call the TS SuperNewt F2.8

Well collimation has been a right pain in the butt and so I have taken the plunge and bought the Cats Eye Deluxe collimation kit from FLO. Amazing service and advice from Steve at FLO and had it delivered the next day. Although it was £300, but will last a lifetime and I bet will keep it's value second hand. Must be better than a home made collimation cap and a dodgy laser collimator.

Here are some pictures of the kit.

Nicely housed in a great case.

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

Laser clip on for colimation in the dark

DSC00305.jpg

Adjustable sight tube for precise alignment combined with Cheshire

DSC00306.jpg

The Auto Collimation, the new one with a 2nd offset hole

DSC00308.jpg

Not sure what this is, looks like a standard sight tube

DSC00309.jpg

Lots of instructions

DSC00302.jpg

Template for putting on the Cats Eye donut.

DSC00296.jpg

Initially, it looks extremely impressive, well built if not very expensive. But everyone says these kits are the bees knees and so I hope it is worth it.

So onto the job of getting out the primary mirror and putting on the new radiation donut.

Never had a newt before, so this was scarey, but it was fairly easy. 6 screws to remove the cell from the OTA and she was off. Remove the clips. Primary is out.

DSC00292.jpg

The clips and screws

DSC00293.jpg

Measured the original donut and it was way off as many have said it would be. Off by a good 3 - 4 mm

DSC00295.jpg

Used acetate to gentle soak the donut and prized it off. Carefully tried to remove as much glue as possible. I was quite shocked how badly centred and how sticky the glue they used on the original donut.

Took the opurtunity to clean the primary and centrede / stuck on the new radiation donut as per the instructions using the centering template. A difficult job, so took my time with it.

DSC00301.jpg

A final clean and waiting for the mirror to dry completely as I write this thread before a blow with the blast blower and re-assemble.

One final picture, Tyke watching on not understanding why I didn't want doggies hairs everywhere :icon_salut: Would you believe he is only 5 months old !!!!!!!!

DSC00300.jpg

More to come as I re-assemble and attempt to work out how to use this new collimation kit :)

I would LOVE to own one of these powernewts but funds aside, I know I'd never be able to manage the collimation attention they require, and I sure as hell would have kittens taking it apart to start sticking things on the mirror!

I take my hat off to you for having the guts / nerve to do it - Good luck with the rest of the collimation (I've seen those instructions on the net and barely understood a word of it) but I'm sure it'll be WELL worth all the effort!

One problem with carbon tubes, they do not hold thier shape very well at all. Was a complete pain in the but getting the mirror cell back into the carbon OTA as it was not perfectly cylindrical. Had to get the missus to help out as I push the tube into shape (carbon is strong) just enough to make it perfectly circular to get the mirror casing in.

Well all done now. Mirror is clean, re-spotted and now to try and work out colimation with the Cats Eye.

Having real difficulty identifying the reflections, but I am sure with persistance tonight I will manage it.

Having real difficulty identifying the reflections, but I am sure with persistance tonight I will manage it.

Congrats on your purchase.

Post your questions about how to use the set and I will be happy to assist. I am quite familiar with Catseye tools.

Jason

Outside testing now. Let the scope cool down for an hour and re-did colimation outside and even though I am truly struggling with seeing the reflections, I have got the best colimation to date yet.

BUT

Initial tests are still showing comet tails in the top left of the image. Strangley all in the same place. More info to follow.

Congrats on your purchase.

Post your questions about how to use the set and I will be happy to assist. I am quite familiar with Catseye tools.

Jason

Thanks Jason.

I am really struggling to see the 4 reflections. I Cand see P and 1 but 2 and 3 are a nightmare. Stupidly enough I can see them much clearer in the offset hole on the auto colimator.

Is this because my secondary mirror isn't further enough down the tube with the centre bolt. Logic would say so.

I have the laser clip with the kit, but am really struggling.

Hello Steve,

I will walk you through the whole process but you have to be little patient. I will not describe all the steps now. Let us take it one step at a time. It is recommended to start off using the sight-tube but since your question pertains to the autocollimator, I will start off with that.

I do not know if you started your collimation outside or inside your home. I suggest you start at home to learn the basics before your venture outside.

Here is what I want you to do when using the autocollimator:

1- Take your scope inside your home

2- Point your scope off a light source inside the room. Again, do not point directly at the light but rather right off it. Do not use the provided red LED.

3- Insert the XLK autocollimator

4- If collimation is close, you should see all 4 reflections clearly from the offset pupil. From the central pupil, you will either see a jumble of 4 reflections. If you can't, try to wiggle the autocollimator. You might have to pull it out a little to wiggle.

Describe to me what you see.

P.S. Did you get a chance to watch this video?

Jason

Hello Steve,

I will walk you through the whole process but you have to be little patient. I will not describe all the steps now. Let us take it one step at a time. It is recommended to start off using the sight-tube but since your question pertains to the autocollimator, I will start off with that.

I do not know if you started your collimation outside or inside your home. I suggest you start at home to learn the basics before your venture outside.

Here is what I want you to do when using the autocollimator:

1- Take your scope inside your home

2- Point your scope off a light source inside the room. Again, do not point directly at the light but rather right off it. Do not use the provided red LED.

3- Insert the XLK autocollimator

4- If collimation is close, you should see all 4 reflections clearly from the offset pupil. From the central pupil, you will either see a jumble of 4 reflections. If you can't, try to wiggle the autocollimator. You might have to pull it out a little to wiggle.

Describe to me what you see.

P.S. Did you get a chance to watch this video?

Jason

Jason,

Thanks, yes watched the video and did all my colimation inside the house as I got used to it. From the offest I can see all 4 reflections quite clearly, the problem is from the centre hole it is just a mess of unfocused and focused triangles.

I am trying to use the method described in the 1st part of the video but I am struggling to find No3 reflection in the centre.

I haven't tried the wiggle yet, might give that a go.

I have been using the laser inside, will also try a bright surface next time. The laser seems better outside in the dark for what it was intended for.

Do you have all the reflections at roughly the same size Steve? They will be a lot clearer if you can get the autocollimator close to the focal point.

And are you sure the secondary isn't rotated a tiny bit? This is the part I find most difficult. When you have all the reflections properly stacked, it might be worth rechecking the rotation of the secondary with your sight tube.

At any rate, Jason is your guy :icon_salut:

Ok a rquick review on the Cats Eye system.

Overall FANTASTIC and I suppose worth the effort. The tools are precision made and look / feel great and well presented in the box.

The instructions are to be honest, too complicated and mainly in text. They definatetly could have done with loads more diagrams. Infact most of the paper work is complicated paragraph after paragraph where a few diagrams would have made it easier. In the end I gave up on the documentation. The documentation on the actual autocolimator is much better with colour photo's. Just wish they did the same on the other 3 pieces of documentation on the sight tube, view piece and the overall colimation procedures.

I used the video on YouTube by CatsEye to help me. Seriously recommend this video. Without it you will struggle to understand it all.

Finding the reflecions is a pain in the butt. P, 1 and 2 are easy to spot, 3 is a right one to find and does mae it extremely complicated to work out. Once I worked out the physics and logic of the method of colimation, I worked my own method of aligning the secondary with with constant decolimation of the primary to keep the R3 reflection in view.

It all seems to have worked with the autocolimator showing good alignment in both centre and offset holes and the cheshire / sighttube cheshire showing good alignment.

So all in all, recommended if you have the patience and the logical brian to work it all out and the balls to re-spot your primary.

Expensive yes !!! But I doubt you will get better colimation without it.

Good Points

Nicely presented and made

Once understood and reflections can be found it is accurate and logical / simple to use

Bad Points

Price

Documentation

Reflections are difficult to see and may put people off.

The instructions are to be honest, too complicated and mainly in text. They definatetly could have done with loads more diagrams. Infact most of the paper work is complicated paragraph after paragraph where a few diagrams would have made it easier. In the end I gave up on the documentation.

Ouch!!!! I will make sure Jim Fly gets this message.

The documentation on the actual autocolimator is much better with colour photo's. Just wish they did the same on the other 3 pieces of documentation on the sight tube, view piece and the overall colimation procedures.

Sigh of relief :icon_salut: since I contributed to the photos, diagrams, and writing of the autocollimator instructions.

I used the video on YouTube by CatsEye to help me. Seriously recommend this video. Without it you will struggle to understand it all.

Another sigh of relief. Those are my hands in the videos :)

Finding the reflecions is a pain in the butt. P, 1 and 2 are easy to spot, 3 is a right one to find and does mae it extremely complicated to work out. Once I worked out the physics and logic of the method of colimation, I worked my own method of aligning the secondary with with constant decolimation of the primary to keep the R3 reflection in view.

Two tips:

1 – Reflection 3 fuzziness depends on the focal ratio of the scope and the user’s visual acuity. The shorter the focal length, the fuzzier the appearance of reflection 3. As far as vision, reflection 3 will be clearer for those with long-sightedness and worse for those with short-sightedness.

2- The spatial relationship between reflections P and 2 is the same as reflections 1 and 3. That is, the distance and direction of reflection 2 in reference to P is the same as reflection 3 in reference to reflection 1. Use this rule to predict where reflection 3 will be located.

It all seems to have worked with the autocolimator showing good alignment in both centre and offset holes and the cheshire / sighttube cheshire showing good alignment.

I call this “collimation nirvana”

Jason

Ok a rquick review on the Cats Eye system.

Overall FANTASTIC and I suppose worth the effort. The tools are precision made and look / feel great and well presented in the box.

Thank you! I will pass your kind comments on to my machinist.:icon_salut:

The instructions are to be honest, too complicated and mainly in text. They definatetly could have done with loads more diagrams. Infact most of the paper work is complicated paragraph after paragraph where a few diagrams would have made it easier. In the end I gave up on the documentation..

Points well taken! - Thanks for the feedback on the need for more visuals.

The documentation on the actual autocolimator is much better with colour photo's. Just wish they did the same on the other 3 pieces of documentation on the sight tube, view piece and the overall colimation procedures....

These links do have visual aids; please do have a look at:

7 EASY STEPS FOR PERFECT COLLIMATION

High accuracy collimation using CATSEYE collimation tools Photo Gallery by strongmanmike2002 at pbase.com

http://www.catseyecollimation.com/pensack.pdf

Thanks Jim and Jason for reading the thread and interpretting it as I wanted to portray it. Overall the kit is awesome, just a little extra on the documentation and it would have got a 10 instead of a 9.5 :icon_salut:

Also Jim, nice links there and saved in my favorites for reading later.

Edit : 7 EASY STEPS FOR PERFECT COLLIMATION is the daddy document everyone needs who is new to this :)

Archived