Skywatcher Skyliner 200P or 250PX Dobsonian

Hi All

I've a question, is the extra cost of the Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian over the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian really worth it?

I can purchase the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian for £271 versus the 250PX at £429 meaning the 250PX is 58% more expensive, is the the extra 2 inches in aperture/light gathering worth the extra expense?

I'd be very interested to here from members who own either scopes or ideally members who have experience with these two scopes.

Thanks in advance.

Dango Bycon

Go for the 200p. It's so easy to move about. Mine goes in the back of the car and the tube fits betwen the 2 rear seats. Unless you've got back garden dark sky or easy access, then the 200p will let you appreciate most Dsos.

For the money , it's a bargain grab and go.

I borrowed an 8", then bought a 10". It is worth it for me. I can really notice the difference on things like globular clusters. They are much easier to resolve with the 10". I am not sure about the planetary views though. That may have been better with the 8".

When buying a new scope yes it is worth it. If upgrading from an 8" then no. The 250PX is the largest comfortably manageable dob in the SW range IMHO. There is enough aperture to show you plenty of DSO's yet it will still fit across the back seat of most cars. If you purchase the 8" then you will always be thinking what would the views have been like through the 10".

Hi

IMO it's down to what your targets will be.

For planets there is little in it, but for deep sky the extra aperture of the 10" can really help.

An 8" is the size where deep sky starts to really take off, but a 10" is a real weapon.

The brighter Globs start to become really impressive through a 10".

More Galaxies can be seen with the larger scope, and nebulae show more structure.

But, the 10" will also be harder on eyepieces! because of the f/ratio. Requiring more expensive versions.

Both are superb scopes that should keep you happy for years.

Both are around the same length, so if one will fit in your car, so will the other. Obviously the 10" is slightly bulkier and heavier too.

A good point to consider is, it's worth seeing them in the flesh as neither is unobtrusive in the living room.

Hands on experience can be worth a very quick ownership if a scope is simply too big in the flesh.

Most societies will have examples of both at viewing nights, so go along and check em out.

Good luck with your decision

Regards Steve

If you are worried about portability, both the 200p and 250px should be roughly equal, as both havde the same focal length (1200mm), and there shouldn't be too much of a weight difference I wouldn't have thought! So the only dimension that changes at all is thickness, which is only 5 cm. So, for storing or transporting, both scopes should be nearly identical. I can fit my 250px on my back seats of my Yaris, so it shouldn't be difficult to transport, providing you wrap the belts around the scope and strap it in!

In terms of light gathering, I didn't get the 200p inch, but it will not be as good as the 250px. Plus, you could conceivably get the 200p, and then in a few months time have the extra money to have paid the difference between that and the 250px. So, I would personally go for the 250px, even if it means waiting a little bit more, as it will give superior views to the 200p, guaranteed! Especially on the Deep Sky, and even on the planets to a lesser degree, as aperture is king at the end of the day!

Archived