advice please!

ok, so i finally got a BEAUTIFULLY clear sky but the wind is horrendous! i cant get a steady image is this because of the quality of the mount or just a factor of the wind that we all suffer from? my scope is a skywatcher explorer 130p .

In very high wind the 'seeing' (the stability of the image) is usually awful even if you have the telescope set in concrete. This is because at different altitudes you have different air temperatures sliding past each other. Seeing and transparency are quite different things. Often a thin haze, which crops transparency, offers excellent seeing.

Olly

In windy weather, there are two problems. The scope and mount are shaken around, and I find that the 'seeing' is often poor (the atmosphere is more turbulent)

These combine to give a poor observing session.

Viewing at a lower power can help, the shaking and turbulent air are less of an issue then.

Regards, Ed,

there are so many things to take into account :)

Too true !

It's oh so easy to blame your scope / eyepieces / whatever but the conditions can conspire to make even the best quality kit perform poorly.

The forecast seems pretty unsettled here for the rest of this week but hopefully we will get something better soon.

It's difficult to remain patient when there is new kit to be tried out though :)

If its just a bit windy i use my big fishing brolly to keep the scope sheltered from the knocking effect :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Good idea :)

Makes you wonder if there would be a market for a quick to assemble scope / observer shelter - a bit like the anglers use but with the slot in the roof. Something that uses that "pop up" approach that festival tents use perhaps :)

Archived