NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

safe operating temperature range for celestron nexstar slt130?

Hi all, I want to try our new celestron NexStar SLT130 tonight.

Temperature outside will be around minus 5 celcius.

I checked the manual and didn't see operating temperature listed.

Any ideas what temperature range the motors, encoders and electronics will handle safely?

I sure hope it's not too cold tonight!

Also, how long should I let the scope sit outside before using it, so it becomes "acclimated" so to speak?

lol, thanks Kh3ldar.

i am slapping together a 2.5 amp @ 12VDC power adapter for it and going outside to try it terrestrial shortly.

[edit]thanks Brinders as well.

jupiter is viewable tonight around 6 pm EST.

saturn around 6am tomorrow morning.

i'm stoked!

hope the kids get a little more enthusiastic LOL!

not sure about this model but last year i had my meade ds2090 goto mount in -6 ,for about 3 hours for a couple a nights last year.

i had the skywatcher power tank wrapped in,2 tea towels and to asda carrier bags ,i gabe it a good rub down apart from the optics i did strip it down to check the inside no sign of any water ect re greased ready for the - temps this year

as a rule of thumbi go in when i am cold the book says -1,-+ 5 at times i did wrap towels dry ones round the motor parts bbq covers are cheap this time of year and can be modded for use

presently 0*C, feels like -4*C.

went out at 5pm and stayed out for 1-1/2 hrs.

set up lat/long and aligned Venus and Jupiter.

tracking a little off (when swinging from venus to jupiter) but the finder scope gets me where i want pronto.

figure it's my level?

what i don't get, even if my level is off, when i align venus or jupiter, wouldn't the cpu store whatever co-ordinates the encoders are at, regardless of it's tracking algorithm?

better read the manual LOL.

anyway, the goto works great, i.e. is repeatable to venus everytime.

started with the 25mm then switched to the 9mm.

clearly saw 2 of jupiters bands and 4 moons, probably a 5th, but it was just outside the FOV (forgot how many moons jupiter has, got a lot of catching up to do.).

the SkyX software is nice for us rookies.

will check out saturn tomorrow morning before work.

can't wait to get the barlow 2x, ordered the filter/lens kit and power pack today.

filter/lens kit in next week, power pack probably in the new year.

then i can get to the country, too much light pollution here, can't even see the milk way LOL!

• 1 year later...

Hi

I run skymax 102 synscan goto AZ down to -14C with AA batteries. No problems for about 1-1,5 hr. Even with the weight of my canon EOS at prime focus, it was still moving around, apart after 1 hr, the AA batteries started to be too weak and with the camera weight, cannot move (already old AA batteries, maybe used 3-4 hours in temperature range of -2 to -12C).

Archived