NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Witches Head nebula - very elusive!

Tim

This is probably the most difficult target I have photographed so far. Not only is it very low down, but being a reflection nebula you really need dark skies and no light pollution to pick it up. This series was taken at Kelling Heath SP this autumn.

I didn't realise how big the thing is either, so framing was very tricky, I went with what I thought was best going from pictures on the www, but could have got that better. Rigel is incredibly bright, and makes its presence felt in the top right of the picture.

At any rate, i'm glad to have ANYTHING on this target, because it really is tricky. There's loads of faint fuzzies in the image too, easier to see in the full size version, which you can download (3.3mb) here.

Borg 77EDII with 0.85 reducer and QHY8. Just 5 x 10 mins, it was all I could get on it.

Thanks for looking.

Tim

post-14037-133877704582_thumb.jpg

A very dificult target especially from this part of the word.....I spent a while grabbing this one so i have quite a soft spot for it. Did you encounter any of those annoying satellites? an absolute pain this target is hard enough without.

A wonderful rendition Tim :)

That's an interesting proposition Olly, only I used the OSC camera and to have put a ha filter in there would have been a real pain with spacing and everything, with the reducer and OAG :)

I'll go back through the red channel and see if any was picked up, didnt notice any though.

Archived