Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

first messier object

saw my first messier object last night globular cluster m13 and omg what a sight.

the seeing wasn't perfect but still pretty good plus have to get used to looking through the eyepiece right but could make it out pretty well.

never seen anything like that before then again with the tasco scope i had years ago don't think you would have seen the end of my street with it :police:

anyone remember thier first messier object

My 1st Messier was M42 through my 60mm Tasco refractor. To start with I was using the awful 12.5 mm hygenian eypiece that came with the scope so I could only really see the central region (the fish's mouth I think it's called) with the Trapezium at one end of the "mouth"). I then scavenged a kellner eyepiece from an old pair of binoculars which had a much wider field of view and lower power so I could see the whole nebula fanning out. A wonderful sight even in a humble 60mm refractor.

Having got hooked on DSO's (a very smart thing to do when you own a 60mm refractor :police:) I then hunted down a number of open clusters in the Orion / Canis Major / Monocerous region and then went for galaxies - a big challenge with 60mm !. I actually managed to find M81 and M82 before I saw M31 due to the time of year. It was a huge thrill to think that the light that was hitting my eye down my little scope had travelled for nearly 12 million years through space :shock:.

My experiences with the 60mm (which I still own) made me interested in the challenge of finding DSO's with relatively small scopes which I continue today with my ED80 despite the challenges of light pollution.

John

Archived