Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 Narrowband

BlueAstra

So last night I ventured out between the storms and got a couple of hours in before the clouds came back. This is M42 narrowband S2/Ha/O3, unfortunately curtailed by the weather. Only managed 3xS2+3xHa+3xO3 @ 480s. However, gave the processing a go, and artificially created some intermediate exposures by saving during the curves and levels process. This is a layer masked stack of three 'exposures', false coloured with the Hubble palette. The lack of exposure time is easily seen by the noise and lack of detail, but thats for another night! The equipment was a Meade ED80 APO+TV0.8FR+SX(FW+OAG+H16)+Lodestar Guidecam on an EQ6, controlled by MaximDL+EQMOD. Processed by DSS+PS. Actually, this is the first time I've used Maxim to guide, seems to work very well. Thanks for looking.

post-16060-133877703368_thumb.jpg

Looks sharp and good. :)

Personallty i think you was a bit stright with the pitch black background? At least i like it not completly pitch black, but sliiiightly more gray. Makes the whole pic a bit more soft and nice to look at. But that might just be me though.

I know your background Is allready slightly gray as it is, but very hard to detect on most cheaper displays with little to no details in the darker areas. But i don't know, maby most of us here are on calibrated high quality displays anyway? :)

Either way, a lovely capture! :(

I think this has good potential, try to get more integration time if you manage. I can already see lots of contrast between the emission areas and the dark background, perhaps you could try to stretch it less so the noise and unevenness of the background would come out?

Anyway I think it's a good result!

Archived