Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC1491 in Ha

swag72

This has been a really frustrating image taken in my new obs with everything now I think finally working. I eventually got the focus sorted in narrowband, which was difficult enough in itself.

So here is an Ha image of NGC1491, I would absolutely welcome any thoughts with regards the processing as I have found this really difficult. Perhaps it was just a tricky image to process!!

Mount: HEQ5

Scope: SW Evostar 120ED

Camera: Atik 314L, Baader 1.25" 7nm Ha filter

Subs: 12 x 1200s (4 hours total)

post-18339-133877703287_thumb.jpg

Looking good Sara....nothing wrong with the focus!!

It's surprisingly noisy for 4 hours....I don't know this target....did you have to stretch the image quite hard?

There's a bit of a gradient showing....any flats used?

Cheers

Rob

Cheers Rob - Stretched and processed to within an inch of it's life, which is clearly showing, but I couldn't see it at the time!!

No flats used and no gradient removal in PI either, this is just as it was.

Having another play now!!

Not too shabby at all Sara :)

Like Rob I don't recall this target, so not sure what it "should" look like. You quite often get a lot of noise when you stretch narrowband targets. There are things you can do to lessen the effects.

How are you focusing? Manually? If you have a bahtinov mask, select a really bright star, not necessarily in your target, centre it, and then run your focus routine. With a Ha filter in place the mask will produce a series of dots, and by going in close to the star check out the first 3 dots. When they are equally spaced your focus will be perfect, lock it and then move to target. Apologies if I am teaching granny to suck eggs :(

If the temperature is varying much through the night, then do check the focus from time to time, as it will vary.

Cheers

Tim

I used the very good Bahtinov grabber programme to check focus. Although I didn't check it during the 4 hour run. Temp didn't change too much really.

Yes, yes Olly!! I did do some flats but when I stacked the first 900s batch they made the gradient really bad, so then I read and learnt that I need to do bias as well - So it ALL got binned!!

These were aligned and integrated in PI - Must see how to add flats and bias.

Archived