Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Scope, what to buy?

Hi, I am a new member to this forum and would like some advice on what scope to buy for my 15 year old daughter as a first instrument. Price range between £100-£200. After looking at various websites I am thinking of either Skywatcher Explorer 130P, or a Dobsonian Skyliner 150P. Live in a semi rural area, interested in looking at planets and DSO. Also, would I need to purchase another Barlow?

Thank you for your help.

I'm a semi-novice myself, and have seen people make errors in buying their kids something too complicated or too difficult to locate anything of great interest. Skywatcher does make a good range of beginner scopes, and I would reccomend a small GOTO scope, for ease of locating objects, and auto tracking.

Hi Kepler.

Both of these scopes are very popular choices as a "first scope". There isnt that much difference in aperture size (the primary mirror), but in quality scopes even a 20mm jump can be a big difference in just how good the views are.

The biggest decision here is whether to buy the 130P on an EQ mount or buy the 150P on a Dob mount. Most people have a preference as to which they like (having tried both).

If astroimaging could be something your daughter wants to try in the future then the 130P on an EQ mount would be the best. However if all she wants to do is look at the planets etc, then the 150P Dob is the best choice.

It never hurts to own a barlow lens. I think for either scope the best choice would be a 2x barlow. Anything higher might be pushing it.

For a first scope and for someone as young as 15 i would go for the Dob.

This scope will last for many years due to bigger aperture the 150P will give some nice views of DSO's, and being on a dob base will be a lot easier to use.

So to round up.....better value for money, easy to use (wont get bored)

Just my views of course......i have been there

For a first scope and for someone as young as 15 i would go for the Dob.

This scope will last for many years due to bigger aperture the 150P will give some nice views of DSO's, and being on a dob base will be a lot easier to use.

So to round up.....better value for money, easy to use (wont get bored)

Just my views of course......i have been there

I agree. Dobs are the best "bang for buck" and easy to use, but you have to have a pretty good knowledge of the night sky to use one.

BUT.........

As i have read over and over again this week about setting up and using a Go-To scope: " you do not even have to know which 3 bright objects you are pointing at to align the scope".

Thanks all for your replies. I am sort of leaning towards the Dob, I presume that they are fairly easy to set up on a small table and would perform better if there is more light pollution?

Good god NO.

Firstly you do not need a small table to set up a 150P Dob. It stands on the ground. You will be amazed by its size/weight.

Secondly, light pollution is a scopes enemy. You want the least amount as possible.

I have decided to go for the 150P Dob. Can anyone tell me if I need to get a 2x Barlow at this stage? Otherwise I presume that it will work straight out of the box and I can add this later. Also what would be the advantage of getting the Barlow?

Thanks for all your help

Good choice on a dob, I'm an absolute newbie (I've been out twice with my scope which I got a week ago) they are very easy to setup and use.

I haven't got a barlow yet, been quite content with the two eyepieces that came with it. I did get a moon filter though, would suggest one of those as it's quite blinding looking at a fullish moon without one.

The Dob is a great choice. Don't bother with a Barlow (at least for now). Instead, buy a red-dot type finder such as a Telrad (Google it) and the book "Turn Left at Orion." With those two goodies you'll be finding things in no time. The magnifying finderscopes that come with most telescopes tend to be confusing to use. Do not underestimate how much easier a red-dot type finder will make your life.

I can second the advice on the red dot finder, you can pick up a cheap one for around £10, and they are awesome, far less confusing than looking through a finder that has an upside down mirrored image.

And secondly, the book is practically a must, or at the very least download a free program called stellarium. It's basically a simulation of the sky, and is amazing for finding anything.

I imagine at first the targets will be things like the moon, jupiter etc, all very stunning, but there's something to be said about pointing the scope at a seemingly black piece of sky, and seeing a nice bright fuzzy galaxy in the eyepiece. :)

Finding things is the part where most people fall down, they expect to go outside, swing it around pointing at stars and see amazing things - the truth is stars are not very interesting, and after a 10 minute session on the moon, people often give up, and the scope gets left under the bed.

Fortunately information is more readily available nowadays, in the form of books, programs, and websites. If she gets stuck in the above situation, just tell her to ask on here for a list of easily found beginner subjects. :(

Archived