Advice needed please re. Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P SynScan AZ GOTO Telescope

Hi I am going to buy a Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P SynScan AZ GOTO Telescope and would like to know what it's like to use from any members who may have used one? I have decided to buy the Skyhawk because of financial restraints. I know that the aperture is not as large as a 130p, but again because of my budget I've decided on the 114mm.

Please can anyone advise me on this particular telescope? What might I expect from it's performance and magnification?

Thank you in advance :)

Proxima

It is a modest size telescope thus you should not expect too much from it's light gathering power or the max magnification. I think the site specifies the max mag at 228x - that will (as usual) be a tad optimistic and reflects ideal conditions.

If you are viewing from a rather dark site then the size will be OK as a beginner scope. If you are in a light polluted site then I suspect that the size might be too small, my experience is that more aperture helps improve the signal to noise ratio of faint targets - by which I mean the hard to find and observe objects rendered faint against the light polluted sky will be "easier" with more aperture.

As Kniclander suggests, the cost of the electronics is a substantial part of the cost of the whole package - you can increase aperture by reducing the electronics. You may be in a situation where light pollution is so bad it is hard to find your way around the sky - if it's this bad I'm not sure a 114mm scope will be of great use.

I have a skywatcher synscan goto 130p. I live in Peterborough and the only thing I've got much joy from is looking at planets. Dso is a no go with the light pollution. If I was buying a scope for the first time knowing what I know now I would have dumped the fancy stand and got a 8-10" dob and some nice eyepieces.

Archived