Where's the best retailer ...

... to actually see and lift CPC 800, 925 and 1100 'scopes so I can get a feel for their relative size and weight before making a purchase decision? I live near St Albans in Hertfordshire and having called around a number of retailers, it seems that most have only a single model in stock, often crammed into small retail space without much "scope" for getting it out and lifting, assembling/dissembing, etc.

Any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks.

I think you will be luck to find a retailer with all three on display .

I would expect that most will have the CPC 800 on display as i recon its the best seller, most sales are done online so they are drop shipped from the importer.

It is alot of money after all to have tied up in display stock.

Alistair I own a CPC800GPS, the telescope is connected to the mount using 3 spring loaded machine screws, there is a central locating pin on the mount this can be a little bit fiddley to locate but no big deal. The telescope weighs in at 42lbs and the tripod weighs 19lbs. PM me if you want any more info on it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Scope 'n Skies / Pulsar Optics doesn't seem to sell Celestron. Astronomia has a 925 in stock, so that might be my best bet, although I was leaning towards the 1100 and really wanting to see how manageable it is ... but I think I'm right in saying the fork size is the same and the OTA is only a few lbs heaver. Think I'll try David Hinds and see if they have any suggestions.

So ... David Hinds dealt with my request in a one line reply, and with a follow-up enquiry in a similar way. Why am I not surprised??

I haven't managed to locate a CPC 1100 in a retailer anywhere close to me, so I'm now enquiring if anyone in the St Albans area (or within a reasonable drive) has one and would be kind enough to let me have a peek (and lift!).

Many thanks.

Archived