Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horizon: Seeing Stars

Telrad

I know many of you have seen this, but there are some who have not, this has to be one of my favourite Horizon episodes, first aired in August this year on BBC2 it examines the work of astronomers around the world, hunting for the most mysterious objects in the universe. Young stars, black holes, even other forms of life. They have created a dazzling new set of super-telescopes that promise to rewrite the story of the heavens. This film follows the men and women who are pushing the limits of science and engineering in some of the most extreme environments on earth. But most strikingly of all, no-one really knows what they will find out there...

Extreme Astronomy - Horizon: Seeing Stars. 720p - YouTube

Thanks Telrad.

I missed it.

I also missed the program about amateur astronomers in the uk. If any body knows of a link to view I would be grateful.

No problem. Yes, I remember that one, it was called Star Men, with Adam Hart-Davis. It was on BBC4 sometime in October this year. That was very good. I can't find a link for it anywhere though..

No problem. Yes, I remember that one, it was called Star Men, with Adam Hart-Davis. It was on BBC4 sometime in October this year. That was very good. I can't find a link for it anywhere though..

I have a copy of that. It's not the best quality, but I'm uploading it to youtube.

Will be here in a few minutes:

eid

Excellent documentary, I hadn't seen that one. It's given me a serious case of aperture fever; I need a multi-mirror scope immediately! Oh and a mountaintop home in Chile with a swimming pool.

I felt a bit sorry for the neutrino hunters; all that equipment and not one catch. Must be a bit like being a **** fisherman. (why is the word c-a-r-p being edited out of my post? I didn't spell it wrong either. Though **** fits also :))

Thanks for the link.

eid

I have a copy of that. It's not the best quality, but I'm uploading it to youtube.

Will be here in a few minutes:

eid

hehe, I agree with you eid, that Horizon is certainly salivatory material and gives one aperture fever galore! :)

Thanks for posting those links in 3 parts for Star Men, it's a great documentary. Really inspiring! Cheers! :)

Thanks for that i will check it out. Horizon does some great stuff. i think it would be so amazing to spend time up a mountain in control of a massive telescope probing the Universe's mysteries, diligently recording things and waiting for a new discovery. Shame i am rubbish at Maths i would have been a great astronomer otherwise

Thanks for that i will check it out. Horizon does some great stuff. i think it would be so amazing to spend time up a mountain in control of a massive telescope probing the Universe's mysteries, diligently recording things and waiting for a new discovery. Shame i am rubbish at Maths i would have been a great astronomer otherwise

Yep I agree, IMHO it must be the best job in the world apart from astronaut or F1 Racing Car Driver! :)

Archived