Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New E.P. ?

Hello again SGL,

A bit of e.p advice needed. I have been using my SW 130P for just over a year and have been very happy with it. Within the next few weeks I am upgrading to a SW 200P DOB, hopefully FLO might be getting them in stock soon ? Anyway I have been looking for a low powered E.P, as my lowest power ep at the moment is 26mm. I found Celestron Omni 32mm or 40mm for a reasonable prices, under £40. My question is will either of these ep's work well with the Skyliner, or is there others I should look at. My budget for the new ep can go to about £60. As usual any advice would be greatly received. Thanks all..

Hi,

The EP you mentioned will work fine in the 200 Dob, they're just Plossl design.

I have a similar 200mm f6 scope, and in my bright city sky I wouldn't go for lower power than 25mm, too low magnification to bring out the contrast.

I use bins for low power observing :-)

Hi,

I'd go for some BST Explorers. I have the Celestron omni 32mm which does give some nice views (in both my 130P and 250 flextube), but a 25mm BST explorer has a wider field of view so you'd see about the same amount of sky as the omni 32, but at a higher magnification and with much better contrast. I have the 18mm BST, and its great. The only reason I don't have the 25mm one is because I now use a 2" 25mm eyepice for low mag.

The other great thing about the BSTs is that they are only about £40 each ;)

Oh, and I wouldn't go above about 32mm. Bigger that that and scopes with large central obstructions (reflectors) can start to show darkening in the centre of the ep

Archived