Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

8" Newtonian (f/5) on Alt/az

Hello peeps

Bit of a speculative question but has anyone got any experience of mounting an eight inch f/5 Newtonian on a Berlebach Giro III mount?

I currently use a 1000mm focal length refractor on this alt/az mount and is fairly stable especially with a 3.5kg counterweight on the mount.

Do you think a Newtonian of this size is going to be under mounted? I seem to remember seeing some photos on SGL of an eight inch f/8 newtonian mounted on a sky-tee which are not much different to the Giro III

If I remember rightly the Giro III has a load capacity of 15kg on each of two saddles.

Thanks!

I use my 10" F/4.8 Orion Optics newtonian (11 kg) on just such a mount (well a Giro copy actually). It needs a counterweight on the opposite arm but it works well and it's silky smooth in motion. I did need to uprate the tube rings and dovetail bar because the standard OO ones were rather "basic" but it's pretty solid setup now:

post-12764-133877700955_thumb.jpg

That's the picture I remember! Thanks John!

I have a very similar arrangement for my big frac with a set of EQ5 counterweights to balance the setup.

Balancing It removes a lot of the friction in the altitue bearing and make it smoother than any mass produced Dob I have used.

I suspect I might need to pick up a HEQ5/6 tripod or a Berlebach if Santa is feeling very generous. ;)

I currently use a heavy duty photo tripod rated to 20kg with my current setup.

If you can get away with a 10" an 8" should be a cinch ;)

How does it cope in breezy weather?

Thanks

...How does it cope in breezy weather?.....

The mount has fine tension controls on the altitude and azimuth axis so I can ensure that there is enough friction to stop the scope slewing in the wind but the relatively fat tube does inevitably get buffeted around more than my refractors.

Thanks, yeah I suspected so.

One thing which works in it's favour is that I can use the tripod without extending the legs due to the focuser is at the top of the tube where as with my refractors I need to extend the legs so the diagonal is not scraping on the ground ;)

Just out of interest how stable are the 2" tube legged HEQ5 tripods and how do they compare to say an Ash wooden tripod?

I guess vibrations are controlled a lot better?

My 102mm refractor if mounted with the rings spaced exactly in equal proportions along the OTA during wind gusts it does form a harmonic resonance and the view bounces all over the shop.

Now the rings are asymmetrical this issue is less noticed. Mainly as now it has a huge lump of focuser at one end whichbalances better.

Hey Mark,

Sorry I didn't see the thread sooner! One point that I would mention is that for me, rotating the OTA to a comfortable position within the tube rings EVERY TIME you move to another object is blumming annoying. If you are a visual guy like me ;)

Hence why an alt az dob mount has worked for me ever since. I think with refractors it is quite different, as most focusers can move 360 degrees?

Having said that, I do plan to get something like an Eq5 or Az4 for my PST and a future ED frac...

Hey Mark,

Sorry I didn't see the thread sooner! One point that I would mention is that for me, rotating the OTA to a comfortable position within the tube rings EVERY TIME you move to another object is blumming annoying. If you are a visual guy like me ;)

Thanks Adam ;)

Yes that would wear thin very quickly hence why I dont really like EQ mounts. With my Alt/az mount I should be able to set the orientation once and not have to worry too much about it changing as it will be like a dobsonian mount which in my case will be mounted via a dovetail bar.

Only thing that might be a bit annoying is coma, I suspect a coma corrector will be needed as well :)

I had a OO 200SPX for a while on a Giro 3/ Berlebach Uni 18. Great combo and definitely up to the task, no problems with balancing. Guess having no counter weight increased the friction a bit, making it easier to balance. And the eyepieces is always in a comfortable position. Never tried it in breezy condition though.

Actually I am thinking of adding a 10" as well to my collection. Just nit sure if I should go for a dob or put a ota on my DM6 to justify the mount. ;)

The DM6 should be up to the task but I am afraid the whole setup might just tumble over.

Archived