Cannon1100D

I have just invested in a 1100D and it seems to produce good results. I'm no expert though. There is though no mirror lock up on this model which I read is desirable by serious imagers using DSLR's. I have only been messing so far but these are the results I have been getting using this camera http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/164117-playing-new-toy.html

I've got the 1000D which does have mirror lockup. The only time I use it is when imaging the moon through the scope to avoid blurring from mirror slap on the very short exposures.

For long exposure deep sky photography it isn't really necessary - If I'm taking a 5 minute exposure, the second or so that mirror slap has an effect really doesn't make any impression on the overall exposure. For focussing, as far as I'm aware, the 1100D still has live previiew.

Having said this, it's nice to have the option and I think Canon have made a mistake losing it from the 1100D.

I have just invested in a 1100D and it seems to produce good results. I'm no expert though. There is though no mirror lock up on this model which I read is desirable by serious imagers using DSLR's. I have only been messing so far but these are the results I have been getting using this camera http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/164117-playing-new-toy.html

I have also just got the 1100d. Not had chance to use it properly yet. As mentioned already, I think mirror lock up is useful for shots of the moon for example, but shouldn't be needed for longer exposure astro imaging. Whilst it looks like there isn't a specific mirror lock up function, I have read somewhere that mirror lock up is automatic when using live view mode. I checked this last night and the mirror definitely flips up when live view is switched on.

I did think it sat out the way in live view as you can't use the opyical finder. Apparently it is a must for macro photography. High speeds on close up images means that the slightest movement causes blur in the photo (or so I read). I can still hear a click when taking a pic in live view but it's no where near the slap when not.

Hi

I am about to take my first tentative steps into astro imaging after casual viewing for 3 years on my 200p

I have hopefully got a 1000d on the way

can any body explain what the "modding" is all about?;)

The common of involves removing one or more of the elements of filter infront of the sensor to improves the sensitivity of the camera to key emmission wavelengths the red Hydrogen alpha emission normally

Im on the smartphone at the moment so grabbing links is a pain...

Google Gary Honis 1000D mod

Is this something you can do yourself or is it a "shop" job?

Either...

It depends upon whether you have the confidence and "skills" to do it yourself really...

I have always done the mods myself using the Gary Honis guides.

These days there are also video guides on the mod process so it would be worth checking these out to see what's involved.

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod450d1.html ( I used to prefer the single camera guides ratehr than the "range" ones much less ambiguity)

And the video...

Peter....

Thank you very much for that

I will start my homework this evening

Any advise regarding the canon 1000d with the 200p/deluxe Barlow/baader hyperion eyepeices would be very much appreciated

Thank you for time

Archived