Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Got my new binoculars...Wow.

Graytalon

Greetings all,

Just wanted to post letting you know I picked up a pair of Celestron 15x70s for 49.00US on amazon.com this week. Last night was the first time I was able to use them and I have to say, I am very impressed!

It was cold, 36F, no wind, and the light of 10 mercury vapor street lights blinded me, but the Pleiades rocked the night. Along with Jupiter and his 4 moons, Orion and my friend Taurus were great too. I am going to have to focus them a bit better and I have to stabilize the mount, me thinks. There was a lot of shimmy and swaying.

Anyway, I am going to find a better spot tonight, hopefully. Well, if the stars align, as the old saying goes.

Also, I know there should be some better Messier objects, but I was using an old book, Starwatch, that I hadn't used in many years. I really was having a tough time putting it all together. Any suggestions on a good book or device to replace it with?

thanks ahead of time,

GT

;)

I have purchased 'Philip's Stargazing with Binoculars'. I haven't read it yet, but it is a book to consider as other Philips astronomy books I have read were very good purchases.

I can recommend the Hama Star 63 tripod as a portable, cheap, but sturdy tripod. You'll also need a binocular tripod adapter.

This looks like a great idea too - http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-binoculars/76542-binocular-comfort.html

I have purchased 'Philip's Stargazing with Binoculars'. I haven't read it yet, but it is a book to consider as other Philips astronomy books I have read were very good purchases.

I can recommend the Hama Star 63 tripod as a portable, cheap, but sturdy tripod. You'll also need a binocular tripod adapter.

This looks like a great idea too - http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-binoculars/76542-binocular-comfort.html

I also have that Philips book and it has enough info on DSOs to be used with a scope - for the brighter DSOs:icon_salut:

I have to admit, Stellarium is impressive. It's been cloudy here since Friday last week. My son and I have used it to "track" Jupiter.

That mirror mount looks amazing. I never would have thought of that. That will make viewing at 12 o'clock easy.

I will check those two books. I have heard of the Phillips book before. Will have to check into the other.

The binocularsky.com is really great. Loving the charts and object of the month.

Thanks for all the assistance.

GT

Archived