Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RACI finderscope

KatieM

Hi guys. I asked this question some time ago but now I can't find the answer!!

I asked about getting a right angled finderscope and seem to remember that one of you recommended the Orion 9x50 right angled finderscope and mentioned something about getting an SCT thingy to fit it to my Celestron NexStar 8SE.

Naturally, I didn't do anything about it at the time and now Christmas is coming, guess what i want Santa to bring me! However, I'm having difficulty finding out exactly what SCT thingy I need to fit to my 'scope and I don't want to buy the finderscope and find I can't fit it!! As usual, any help and advice will be very gratefully received.

Well Damian. That finderscope looks really good but i don't think Santa's being that generous this year. I'll have to have a think about it and consider if I'm prepared to give up other important things such as shoes, clothes and girly things like that! I am very tempted though!

Here's a similar one, and which I can recommend as I have one.

I don't know if it will fit your finder shoe though.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope

The finder shoe it fits is one of these.

First Light Optics - Finder Mounting Shoe

Its a little cheaper, so Santa might have to reconsider! ;)

I am a loss as to why the manufacturers don't put twenty quid on the price of a scope and supply one with a new scope.

Hi Martyn.

Yep, I think Santa might be persuaded to buy these. i've had a look and I think they're just the job. Yay! I can have my shoes, clothes and girly things as well!!! I can't wait for Christmas!

Thanks for your help everybody!

Hi Brantuk. I just checked out the Orion RACI at Telescope House but unfortunately they're sold out!! I'll have a look round at other suppliers and see if i can get one elsewhere. Failing that, I'll get the Skywatcher. Thanks for your advice. Very useful as usual!

Not so early!! I've got to wait 'til next week to get it from FLO and then i need a clear night (when i haven't had a glass of wine or two) to play with it. I don't trust myself with sensitive astronomical equipment after I've had a glass of wine! I'm quite happy to take my bins out but holding them steady can be a problem! :)

• 6 months later...

Just picked up on this thread,

damnut mentions the Antares 8 x 50 illuminated RACI.

Having read Astrobaby's review of an Antares RACI (7 x 50) which was not too good.

Anyone have experience / view of the former ?

Archived