Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher skyliner 200p dob

Everything about this 'scope is excellent. Except for the finder. A ridiculous right angle finder with the image upside down and back to front.

A Telrad or Rigel finder is a great solution.

My mistake, I had a 'strawberry blonde' moment.:icon_confused:

These scopes come with a straight through finder whereas a right angle finder would be much better.

My mistake, I had a 'strawberry blonde' moment.:icon_confused:

These scopes come with a straight through finder whereas a right angle finder would be much better.

I'm not keen on my straight through finder and will upgrade to the Right angle finder soon, although my Telrad does most the work anyway..

Look at the Rigel, as with the Telrad, ggod though they are, you'll need a lot of counterbalance weight at the mirror end. Rigel only weighs about an ounce or so.

From having used both i would say the Rigel is good but the Telrad is better. The Rigel suffers from motion induced parallax. If you move your head around slightly the recticule appears to move on the night sky. The further back you move the effect is worse. The Telrad does not suffer from this effect from any distance. The glass window is also bigger on the Telrad (plastic on the Rigel) and the recticule is sharper and better defined. As far as weight goes the Telrad is not very heavy at a little over 200gms and will not create a lot of balance problems on medium to large size dobs. I have one on my 8'' dob along with a 9X50 RA finder and wouldn't be without it.

Archived