NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Asteroid finder chart

I have been wondering how to produce accurate finder charts for asteroids for a given time and date. My redshift seems to not be all that accurate, I tried Cartes which seemed to be more accurate. The star charts on Calsky seem a little bit hard to read but it is good for RA and Dec coordinates. Anyone got any better solutions?

Thanks for the links guys, they should keep me updated just fine. I do have the orbital elements in Carte. I am still getting used to using it. I noticed that I didn`t have many stars showing in the close up field of view so I think I might need to enable a star catalogue or something like that.

• 2 months later...

I really can`t get on with Cartes at the moment. It doesn`t appear to have updated the asteroid orbits and I need more stars!

The trouble is I am used to using Redshift.

However, I cannot activate my latest installation of Redshift 6 probably because of installing it earlier on other computers (which means I can`t update orbits). :cussing:

I took a look at Redshift 5 and I managed to update the orbits of a couple of asteroids I was interested in. :clouds1:

NOW, all of a sudden, the Redshift web site is not working. :D

Maybe they are updating the web site.

I will have another try at getting used to Cartes.

Once I get over this little problem I can get stuck into some decent asteroid chasing.

I really can`t get on with Cartes at the moment.

One can also access asteroid (and comet) ephemeris on Stellarium.

- Configuration window [F2]

- Plug In tab

- select solar system editor

- press configure button

- select solar system tab

- press "import orbital elements..."

- choose asteroids or comets

- choose a source from dropdown list

- press "Get orbital elements" button

• 3 weeks later...

Phil - There are many more asteroids available to observe than those listed on Heavens Above but they are fainter than 10th mag. and from what I have seen in UK posts, the skies in most areas are not dark enough to allow observation with even very large scopes (12"+) for such faint objects.

If you are in a dark sky location, I'm sure there are some web sites with listings of these fainter asteroids.

Phil - There are many more asteroids available to observe than those listed on Heavens Above but they are fainter than 10th mag. and from what I have seen in UK posts, the skies in most areas are not dark enough to allow observation with even very large scopes (12"+) for such faint objects.

If you are in a dark sky location, I'm sure there are some web sites with listings of these fainter asteroids.

Yes, something very much to keep in mind, now you mention it.

My skies are not very dark because of me being located in a London suburb.

Archived