January sales

... Just how much more can I see in an 11" OTA with atypically verage seeing compared to an 8" OTA??

Deep sky or lunar / planetary ?.

The 11" will show more on both but I reckon the difference will be most marked with dso's.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was CPC, then went thinking OTA and EQ6. But I am a very busy bee with small kids, 60 hour week job and University study part time. And the thought of spending 30% of my precious observing time setting up has sent me thinking CPC 1100 again. I'll build a pier at my next home and use a permanent wedge.

So I am 99% sure CPC is the way for me.

Before you buy the 11 OTA, make sure you check out the size of the mount and OTA - its not for the faint hearted. Sure the CPC is big and heavy but it is a singe to set up - up and going in five minutes - I did it myself in the shop. EQ6 and C11 is a lot more involved. Uncle Rod over on CN said to someone asking this question to go to a C8 if a GEM is their first time EQ mount.

As they say, the best scope is the one you use and I feel CPC ticks those boxes, as it does for many folks.

Think long and hard ! ;)

Steve

Hi Steve - our situations are very similar - 2 daughers and a job in London keep me more than busy.

I'm definitely back on for a CPC. That decision is now fixed and will not change. Now I just need to answer the size question. I think my choice is either the 800 or 1100. If my reading of the weights is correct , the forks on the 925 and 1100 must be the same size, as is the tripod. The only difference is that the 1100 is 7lbs heavier for an extra 40% aperture, otherwise the dimensions are about the same. So it just comes down to what I can afford .. which comes down to what accessories I need to buy.

As an aside, I've just been torturing myself by looking at US Celestron dealers prices for the 1100 - the best is $2599 with free delivery ... or about £1655 versus £2,455 over here. I've even been considering a US supplier to deliver to a mate in the US, then getting them to forward on to me with a "creative" customs declaration to minimise duty. I know the warranty would not apply, and I would be out of pocket to the tune of however much I under declared the value of the package if it were damaged in transit, but £800 saving is substantial. I asked for them to give me an indication of UPS shipping to the UK but that came to a whopping $745, which starts to eat into the savings and makes the hassle not worth it. Think I need to double check that shipping charge ....

Hi Alistair,

A few things to consider. A few comments on the web suggest the difference in weight between a 925 and an 1100 is not that much, a few lb's or 10% or so. Big deal. The extra cost - on top of all the other gubbins you need (battery, dew shield, EP's, observing chair, etc ,etc) might shove it out of your price range? Only you know that.

A lot of people who have a 800 love them. And many say they are so easy to set up they'd wished they'd gone for a bigger aperture.

As I said, I picked one of these up at Opticstar. Wow, are they big ! And they are heavy too. But very manageable, very surprisingly so - easily so for me. You pick the thing up and place onto the tripod. Three captive bolts to do up - job done. With the OTA/EQ6 there is a slot of messing about for a beginner (aka me) and I had a few practices in the shop and I did not like it. I would be terrified of one day dropping the OTA - all £1500 worth - in the dark, its just going to happen one night. This is a setup for a permanent observatory in IMO (and I absolutely acknowledge my opinion is worth nothing at this point). And more importantly in my case, and no doubt yours too, I just don't have the time.

I say if your a fit chap then the 1100 is the one to go for, many such threads around the web. In my case I am 6 foot 2 and weigh 15 stone and am fit and healthy so think it'd be mad to go for anything less. Sure, £600 odd more but, eh, you live once right? Get it right now I say rather than have to sell and upgrade later. I would very seriously suggest you go and look at one in a shop. They are stunning pieces of gear and will amaze you how big they are!

Remember that using your import dodge you will not be covered under warranty here in the UK as it will be a "grey" import. If it all goes wrong with such a precise instrument would you rather not have FLO or another reputable UK dealer behind you?

BTW - Two daughters also ;)

Rgds, Steve

I agree with everything you've said Steve. After some more research and thought about the implications of a grey import, I'm no longer considering the US purchase route. I'm gutted at the price difference - don't know why I should be as its pretty much the case with everything over here - but I guess other countries have it even worse than us.

I will indeed go and lift the 1100 before buying, but I've seen this video which suggests it's doable

- he ain't THAT strong! Like you I'm 6' 2" ( but my BMI is where it should be ;)) so weight isn't the issue. It's now down to funds. Barbie bikes for my girls, or a CPC 1100??

Also, you might be interested in these two items from Starizona - a $50 landing pad to help you locate the OTA onto the base unit http://starizona.com/acb/Landing-Pad---Celestron-CPC-Series-P3071C0.aspx Seems like a good idea in the dark with an 1100, and also what they call a piggyback battery (see below). It's only 4.5Ah, but it sits on the rotating plate or attached with velcro to a fork arm and can power the scope for 4/5 hours apparently. No dangling wires, no need to purchase a Powertank which you will doubtless over discharge and then have to throw in the bin (they don't have deep cycle batteries in them), and no need to build your own power supply set-up. You could get a second pack to power dew strips, as long as you don't plan on particularly long viewing sessions (which I don't). Obviously if you get into the hobby big time, then you'll have lots of additions needing a proper power supply, but for me starting out I thought it was a kind of neat system. They've been delisted from the Starizona website for a couple of weeks until their new ones come in - same spec but lighter - so I don't know the price yet. (They currently have a recall out on their old ones, but this doesn't affect the new, to-be-launched ones).

2230720-CPC1100_030108a.JPG

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers

Alistair

So let's face it, I'm going to just have to lie about the cost of the scope. What do you reckon would be believable - £950 for a scope that size???? I'll just explain it's a cheap one because it's made of mirrors not lenses. Should do the trick :-)

Was thinking of either a Baader Hyperion Mk III zoom, or the "equivalent" Meade 4000 zoom. I've had advice to not go for the kits and rather invest in single decent EPs. So I've taken that advice to the extreme and am thinking that a single zoom would be nice and convenient to use.

I've done zero research on diagonals, and was planning on using the stock one (it does come with one, right?). I am confused about the whole 1.25" versus 2" diagonal (and EPs), so am ignoring that whole area at the moment. Opticstar have the cheapest 1100 at the moment, and are offering the 6.3 focal reducer thrown in for free, so I was thinking that would get me a larger FoV without having to concern myself with 2" EPs. Not sure if it's as wide or wider, but anyway, that's where my research is at!

Even with the focal reducer, I don't think an 11" F/10 scope is going to deliver wide angle views. One true degree of sky is about the max you can get I think and that would be with a 2" 40 degree eyepiece with a 70 degree apparent field of view. Many deep sky objects will fit in a one degree true field though.

... also what they call a piggyback battery (see below). It's only 4.5Ah, but it sits on the rotating plate or attached with velcro to a fork arm and can power the scope for 4/5 hours apparently. No dangling wires, no need to purchase a Powertank which you will doubtless over discharge and then have to throw in the bin (they don't have deep cycle batteries in them), and no need to build your own power supply set-up. You could get a second pack to power dew strips, as long as you don't plan on particularly long viewing sessions (which I don't)...

Just want to mention, Starizona has issued a recall notice for those piggy back batteries. They may overheat and burst into flame.

Product Safety Warning

Hi Alistair,

I’ve just bought a C11 SGT with CG-5 GT mount from Opticstar.

I also got the 6.3 focal reducer for £50. A reduction of £129

The scope arrived Thursday and I’ve just sold the mount for £300

I only wanted the OTA as I have a NEQ6 mount.

The reason I chose the C11 SGT is that I also wanted the Fastar/Hyperstar capability.

However, The Hyperstar adapter comes at a further £800.

So next I will be selling my SW 300PDS to contribute to the cost.

Hope you get the telescope that you have decided on for Christmas.

Good luck

Dave

However, The Hyperstar adapter comes at a further £800.

The cost from Starizona direct is $795. Add on about $60 postage, I reckon, plus 20% VAT and 4.2% duty and the delivered price in the UK is aound £675. So there's a decent saving to be made there. Or ask a UK retailer to match that price, see what they say ... I can guess, but you never know.

In my case, as I don't own anything yet, I will also have to purchase a CCD, autofocuser and relevant software. Not cheap this hobby, is it??

Hi again Alistair,

You are correct in this can be a very expensive hobby.

I'm very fortunate that my wife is very understanding and I've been able to indulge myself with some expensive kit for a number of 'hobbies'. Computers, cameras, Amateur Radio, RC Aircraft and of course Amateur Astronomy.

I think it's about time I cut back a bit on some of them.

Cheers

Dave

Astronomy expensive? Well, check out road cycling. Now *that's* expensive !!

Alistair, like your style mate. My CPC 1100 will only cost £1099 and the EP's are thrown in free :) And my battery, observing chair etc were only £100 all in. Bargain, eh? :(

Hehe. Well I bet she lies about her makeup, hair-do's, clothes, meals out with her mates etc... You like my reckoning?

On a more serious note I cannot buy the main scope until January anyway until I get some shares money freed up, so I might as well wait until SGL 2012 is done and out the way in case there is some price movement. I then have about £3000 to blow to get me going, and as such hopefully there wont be a stock market crash. Incremental purchasing afterwards not really an issue. Its just that you need to spend so much to get you going in this game !

Cheers, Steve

Archived