Scope on the way.. Accessory advice needed!

Hello All,

Before I ask for your help again, I'd like to first thank everyone for their kind and invaluable advice with helping me select my first scope. After much initial procrastination and subsequent indecisiveness, I finally settled for the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Flextube Dob AUTO. It is now on order and have been quoted 2-3 days delivery. I'm excited to say the least!

Along with the scope I ordered an Astrozap shroud, which was recommended by several users here.

I now need to consider some additional optics and accessories that will aid me best with my quest of the sky. I was told that the scope only came with two stock eyepieces and no barlow lense(s) or filters.

I understand a barlow is pretty vital for magnification. I don't want to scrimp on eyepieces or barlows, I'd rather invest my money now in good quality (without going over the top).

Can anyone recommend any eye pieces/barlows, or a better finderscope and red dot that will serve me best? Or is there anything else I will need to get started?

I've heard many here swear by a Telrad, are these any good?

Thanks in advance.:icon_confused:

Barlow will enable more magnification but is not necessary. Unless it is good then the image will be poor. You have a scope for collecting light, not really for huge magnifications.

In general the maximum usable is reckoned to be 200x, a 5mm eyepiece will give that. BST Explorer or TMB II planetary amongst others. So there is the maximum generally accepted magnification with no barlow.

Finder scopes are a pain, everyone has different favourites. For a reflector a right angled one is usually preferable - saves trying to get your head in a suitable place to look through a straight through one. RDF suffer the same problem - you have to look along the scope, which not always be easy.

That leaves right angle finders and Telrads. Normal finders have some magnification and gather additional light so some something just too faint for the eye may just show uo in one. Telrads have no magnification but have circles to aid locating.

Barlows - the Tal 2x has a good reputation, otherwise it seems to be the TeleVue's at a fair bit more.

Eyepieces try the BST Explorers, good, sharp, wider fields of view and good price.

Hi, I think it would be best if you wait for the scope, try out the 25mm stock ep and then see what your viewing preferences are, don't anticipate any extras too soon, you may end up spending money on focal lenths that are not in tune with what you want to see. A Barlow is fine but magnification is not the key to better or more rewarding viewing. Increasing the magnification doesn't always yield good results, it is dependant on seeing conditions. My advice is to bide your time and get some viewing in with your new scope, an excellent choice by the way.

The standard finderscope does look awkward to say the least. A right angle seems preferable, I was hoping in practice that the stock finderscope turns out to be more useful than it looks!

Thanks for the info guys, the consensus seems to be to wait it out and experiment then before I invest. I just wasn't sure whether a barlow was a prerequisite for good viewing..

Btw, can anyone shed light on how the Auto tracking will work? I understand the principle of it and was very much a selling point for me, but how does it work in practice, does it automatically detect if I'm locked on a target somehow or do i have to "tell it" what I'm looking at?

Hi, I think it would be best if you wait for the scope, try out the 25mm stock ep and then see what your viewing preferences are, don't anticipate any extras too soon, you may end up spending money on focal lenths that are not in tune with what you want to see. A Barlow is fine but magnification is not the key to better or more rewarding viewing. Increasing the magnification doesn't always yield good results, it is dependant on seeing conditions. My advice is to bide your time and get some viewing in with your new scope, an excellent choice by the way.

exactly right. im a novice and although theres always something you can add, why when theres no way of knowing how you'll get on with it.

i learnt quickly pros and cons with my scope,but only by using it.

so i say get out there enjoy it and within a small amount of time you'll know what youll need.

clear skies mate..:icon_confused:

Archived