Make your own collimator

Hey, at least it worked, By the way I spotted Andromeda and a few other double clusters last night for the first time.

Amazing and want another peep but its cloudy:(

All I did was have a quick look on stellerium and rembered where to look a viola, jobs a goodun, I'm getting good at this;)

Haven't got a chance to look at orion nebula at the mo

Si.

Got my base marked out now, just ordered an inclinometer from amazon for four quid, next time the weather permits, i am hoping to have my diy goto up and running. Also got a revelation 42mm ep, hoping to get some nice widefield views with that. Next stop, a celestron x-cel lx for some high power views.

I just drilled a hole through the centre of my lens cap. Much easier, and sits in the focuser without moving about, slipping or bending in shape.

Me too, I just stick a small square of insulation tape over the hole to prevent dust getting into the tube and just peel it off for use and stick it back when finished.

Bart

You all claim you are tight wads but can anyone give me a film canister, a drill and the drill bits? :)

As I'm extremely lazy as well, any volunteers to make it and a further one to collimate the scope? :)

Would you like someone to look through the scope for you and describe the view, while you relax in your recliner with a nice pink gin :)

You all claim you are tight wads but can anyone give me a film canister, a drill and the drill bits? :)

As I'm extremely lazy as well, any volunteers to make it and a further one to collimate the scope? :)

I can send you the hole for the collimating cap if you want.

I just drilled a hole through the centre of my lens cap. Much easier, and sits in the focuser without moving about, slipping or bending in shape.

Strange, but after having had old film canisters lying around for years, I thought I would try this when I first saw this site. Unfortunately I couldn't find one for the life of me. Maybe they've all slipped through a hole in the space-time continuum?? :) ( or I've binned them and not remembered - much more likely!! )

Eventually drilled a hole dead centre in my old focuser cap when someone presented my with a shiny new aluminium one.

Who sets your kit up and puts it away. Do you have a slave for these menial tasks :)

Archived