Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Revelation focuser and ED barlow not mating!

Went to use them together tonight but the barlow wont go all the way home. There seems to be a small ridge in the focuser but surely the barlow should fit a same make focuser?

Is it me or will these two not go together?

Revelation Dual speed crayford focuser

Revelation 2"ED barlow

Steve

The 2" Revelation ED has a long barrel as far as I recall. The focuser will start to be ribbed inside after a certain distance to reduce light scatter. I'm sure there was a similar post from someone on here quite recently - I think they had to get the inside of the focus tube machined out.

Revelation is only a brand name - they don't actually make any of their stuff - these two items could come from different sources in China / Taiwan.

Edit: I think this is the thread I was thinking of (GSO make some of the Revelation stuff):

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/162426-gso-focuser-2-eyepieces.html

Can you get 2" eyepieces to focus in the revelation dual speed? (Low Profile) I couldnt and have to use a 35mm extension tube, it may be that you need the extension tube too.

**Edited** just checked and its the same 34mm before it narrows on the focuser AND the extension tube.

I got 2 extension tubes, a 50mm branded Revelation when I bought the focuser from Telescope House, and a 35mm branded Altair from ebay, though they both look as if they were made in the same factory! I couldnt get anything to focus without an extension of any length when I first fitted the focuser.

I had trouble getting the majority of my 1.25" eyepieces to focus when I first bought my GSO focuser. That was because it only has 30mm of travel and nearly every extension tube is 40mm or longer thus leaving a gap in the focal range. I had to have a regular 2" 50mm extension milled down to 25mm to allow all of my eyepieces to focus.

That hasn't eradicated the problem of my UWAN with its long barrel, I had to get the ribs you speak of milled down as they were narrowing the diameter of the tube by 0.47mm and stopping the eyepiece from fully inserting. Now that I have that sorted I still cannot focus it as there is not enough outward travel in the drawtube. And since the barrel is so long I cannot use my custom short extension as that would leave a considerable portion of the barrel sticking out which is not what I want with a 1kg, £200 eyepiece! I think I'll be after a new focuser as I don't think its worth my while to shorten the tube or bring the primary closer to the secondary.

Archived