NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Will the Skywatcher 127 Mak OTA and Vixen Porta II Mount

Matt2011

Will the Skywatcher 127 Mak OTA be fine with a Vixen Porta II for the grab and go set up, Would my Skywatcher 127 OTA tube be the right way up as I know that the dovetails on OTA are fitted in a different position than the complete Skywatcher 127 and mounts. Will using a Vixen Porta II make my finder on the OTA appear upside down as well as the Skywatcher printed logo on the tube. Thanks:icon_confused::):icon_confused::)

Hi Matt

Yes the Porta Mount has it's dovetailed side mounted to the right so the problem you will have is that your telescope finder focus will be reversed ie the wrong way up!

It's a reason why i did not go ahead and mount a celestron C6 on mine.

andrew

With your set up of 127 Mak OTA and the Vixen Porta II mount does your finder appear the right way up meaning the actual finder scope and did you buy your 127 Mak as just a Optical Tube Assembly or did it come with another mount. Cheers

I bought my mak127 as an OTA. The finder on mine is in the 7'oclock position when mounted and looking at the back of the scope. To be honest it is not in an ideal position, but does not bother me that much.

I use the finder (RDF) to get a rough location then using the baader zoom (works well on this scope), I start off at the lowest power center in the EP and zoom in if needed.

I use an RDF which is quite compact, if I used a finderscope on the tall bracket that I have seen in some photos, it would be a problem.

regards

David

Hi David, So basically your finder is in an upside down position and in a 7 o clock position and is there any chance of taking a photo for me to see as I am thinking of getting the VIXEN PORTA II mount today or probably order tomorrow. cheers

Matt requested some photos, so here they are :)

My apologies for the clutter, I need to sort the garage out again.

The slow mo controls are plastic rods, which I keep meaning to replace, proberbly the weakest part of the porta mount package. The good thing is the controls can fit either side of the control shaft, so they can point away or towards you.

I find the mount with the Mak 127 quick and easy to use.

regards

David

post-21390-13387769799_thumb.jpg

post-21390-133877697998_thumb.jpg

post-21390-133877698006_thumb.jpg

post-21390-133877698014_thumb.jpg

I got a Celestron CG-5 GT mount and have been having difficulties in setting up as I have never had a Equatorial Mount before and a GOTO really but I just bought the Celestron GPS SkySync to help me but I need to align also to Polaris without a Polarscope but I am gonna get a Vixen Porta II mount and also add some good slow motions to it also, Is to much of an inconvenience that the finder on your set up is upside down. :icon_confused:

Will I need to buy anymore Baader Hyperions now I have the Baader Hyperion Mark III Zoom Clickstop Eyepiece. cheers:icon_salut:

Only if you want the wider field of view and the slightly better optical performance that the fixed focal length Hyperions deliver over the zoom, in my experience. I guess also if you need a focal length eyepiece outside the range of the zoom.

Many folks are quite happy to use the zoom for most or all of their viewing though :icon_confused:

..... I am gonna get a Vixen Porta II mount and also add some good slow motions to it also, Is to much of an inconvenience that the finder on your set up is upside down. :icon_confused:

The Porta comes with slow motion knobs but they are not good quality - the only part of the mount that isn't really. You can get CNC machined replacements from Orion Optics for around £35 but there are probably other lower cost alternatives too.

I think the finder needs to be on the top half of the tube at least. To achieve this you would need to either move the dovetail (needs drilling) or to use tube rings and a separate dovetail. You can then rotate the tube in the rings to get every thing just where you need it.

A third option would be not to use the fitted finder shoe but to add another finder like a Telrad or a Rigel Quikfinder to the tube in a more convenient place.

Archived