Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew heater for an 80ED

Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying myself an early christmas present in the form of dew control and just wanted to make sure I'm getting the right stuff. I am looking at getting one of these:

First Light Optics - Astrozap Dual Channel Dew Heater Controller

and a 3" one of these:

First Light Optics - AstroZap Dew Heater Tapes

Is this all I need?

Thanks!

Samit

Hi samir

I have the same dew heater tapes and controller, and they are excellent additions to my setup. ironically i also just purchased the ring mains adapter and it works a treat. just be careful if you are going to use the adapter outdoors it must be damp proof.

ATB martyn

Ok so the deal fell through with the dual channel astrozap but was looking at this instead:

First Light Optics - HitecAstro single-channel, dual-port Dew Controller

However the description has confused me a little:

A simple but effective single-channel, dual-port dew controller with 6-Amp combined output. Simply plug it into an appropriate power supply and connect one or two heater tapes and your good to go.

A cigarette-lighter type plug with 5 amp fuse and 2m of cable is included

Will the 5 amp cigarette to mains converter work with this if I am only planning on using one of the ports?

Yes you can just plug one Dew strip in and it will work OK (and use less power). I suppose that to be safe you should cover the other outlet with a suitable rubber cap - especially if it is wet. If you should short it out you may get a bit of a zap from it.

Archived