Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st attempt at Pinwheel

drumsolo

This is my first attempt at the Pinwheel galaxy taken last night. This is 20 subs of 1 min at 800 iso stacked in DSS with darks.

I have tried to post process and compared to the raw subs have managed to get some detail but I am really struggling with levels and curves. Would be very grateful for comments and thoughts and whether I should have more detail for 20mins worth of data?

Thanks

Stuart

Did you take flats? Would probably be a lot easier to get out the details if it wasn't for the strong vignetting.

Unfortunally it looks like something os wrong with the focus though. good focus at lower part of image, and way out at the top. Or is this a crop image and the galaxy was at the very top of the frame?

Nice details of M101 for only 20 min though :)

Thanks for all your comments. I have slightly cropped the picture but only by a fraction so not sure why the focus is different at the top and bottom. I used a bahtinov mask but still not sure how to get exact focus.

What exactly is vignetting and how do flats help? Should I always try and take flats?

I have an LP filter but dont know how to attach it as I cant get the camera to focus, it needs to be very close to the eyepiece and the LP filter and tube pushes it back to far.

Vignetting is, in short terms, how the image gets darker towards the edges. With flats you'll get an evenly luminated picture, also making it far easier to process later to get out the details.

Buuut, close to the EP? You mean, you took these pictures yjrough the EP, and not directly through the telescope with a T2 adapter? If so, that would explain a lot. Also, it would be very impressive if you got all these details just through the EP.

But also, if that's the case, the first thing you shuold get is a T2 adapter for your camera... :)

edit: to achive exact focus i recommend you use this program when you're focusing: http://www.njnoordhoek.com/?p=325 Asuming you have the camera connected to a computer and are able to have the live view on teh computer instead of only on the camera.

Sorry if my post was misleading. I am using a T adapter with DSLR but on my SW200pds you can remove the eyepiece holder and screw the camera straight on to the thread which means the camera is very close to the telescope body. When using an LP and tube it is now to far to get any focus.

Hi Stuart I'm virtually certain this is M33 and not the pinwheel.

Anyway I've just had a quick 5 mins in PS and made (a poor) artificial flat and a play with tweaking the image. Quite difficult with only a small jpg but I'm not very competent with PS. Got a bit more detail but trashed the edges in the process.

I created a duplicate layer as a new layer and named it 'flat' and applied a lot of gaussian blur. I then used this to 'apply image' and 'subtract' it from the original layer.

It's never going to be a substitute for flats but it was just to see what was underneath the orange glow.

Archived